Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

TLT-1 steering 9 years 6 months ago #31524

• nodtec
  • nodtec's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Here's one for the crawler truck tech heads. I'm building a TLT-1 and was hoping to find some rear axle steering lock outs as I'm not keen on having 'steering' on the rear that not functional. Two questions, well two and a bit actually.

Qestion 1. I read that the F350 rear axle fits the TLT-1 but it looks different in the pictures I've found. So does it?
Question 2. If it doesn't is it possible to work the front and rear steering servo's + the F/R control using a 2 channel trans/rec?
Question 2.5. How?

I'm not overly keen on the way they just lock the steering by screwing the drag link to the axle housing, it just looks dodgy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TLT-1 steering 9 years 6 months ago #31525

I know that the F350 use some juggernaut and TLT stuffs and on mine, I put the twin steering mode on a single servo. :)

TLT-1 steering 9 years 6 months ago #31533

• nodtec
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

I put the twin steering mode on a single servo. :)

How do I do that? :blush:

Last edit: by AndyAus. Reason: quote link fix

TLT-1 steering 9 years 6 months ago #31547

You use a "servo y splitter cable" to connect two servos to one channel on the reciever :)

Unfortunately I am not familiar with F350 High Lift, but the TLT-1 can be modified to accept any axle unit I am sure!

The only TLT-1 axle lockouts I know of were RC4WD.com Straight Axle Adapter for Tamiya TLT-1 .
Unfortunately they are discontinued. They require some chopping/filing on the axle. That's why I never got those and stuck with 2 steering links attached to the axle housing :whistle:

TLT-1 steering 9 years 6 months ago #31550

For the HI LIFT, all is included in the box to make it 4X4X4 it is approximatively the same system than the clod but prettier than the full black plastic.

TLT-1 steering 9 years 6 months ago #31584

• nodtec
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
I did read in the instructions about the Y joiner but it didn't mention a tamiya part number. It also mentioned a 3 channel with mixer. As I don't have a 3 channel set up and the wife won't let me use her Kenwood, it was back to using the 2 channel idea. This raised another problem, a Tamiya design one. It shows the rear steering servo fitted with saver pointing up and a silly great tall tie rod end ball fitted. This looks like a really bad after thought and hits on frame on full 'twist'. I did find a 'reverse' Y section mentioned on a crawler site but can't find any for sale anywhere. Do these have to be custom made? Can't the wires on the servos just be spliced together to acheive this?

TLT-1 steering 9 years 6 months ago #31593

I did read in the instructions about the Y joiner but it didn't mention a tamiya part number. It also mentioned a 3 channel with mixer. As I don't have a 3 channel set up and the wife won't let me use her Kenwood, it was back to using the 2 channel idea. This raised another problem, a Tamiya design one. It shows the rear steering servo fitted with saver pointing up and a silly great tall tie rod end ball fitted. This looks like a really bad after thought and hits on frame on full 'twist'. I did find a 'reverse' Y section mentioned on a crawler site but can't find any for sale anywhere. Do these have to be custom made? Can't the wires on the servos just be spliced together to acheive this?

#

I searched for "servo reverser" on eBay & there were any number of suitable matches - though admittedly the reversing Y leads I looked at reversed the signal on both outputs. Presumably if you want to split the steering signal but reverse one output you'd get a regular Y-lead and a separate reverser to use on the relevant leg.

:)

TLT-1 steering 9 years 6 months ago #31597

. Presumably if you want to split the steering signal but reverse one output you'd get a regular Y-lead and a separate reverser to use on the relevant leg.

:)

I think you could also get a regular lead and push the +/- pins out of one servo plug and swap them round.

Hmmm, I might be mistaken. The servo reversers on ebay have some electronics in them. I suppose just swapping the input wires will reverse the motor direction but will also reverse the polarity of the position pot, so they will cancel each other out. :unsure:

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

TLT-1 steering 9 years 6 months ago #31599

• nodtec
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
I found a ternigy reverser cable at hobby king, I'll get a couple and 2 y leads as well, they're pretty cheap so 1 of each for spares. I assume the reverser goes on the rear steering. Please excuse my lack of knowledge in the electronics department, I can rebiuld an e type jag with my eyes shut but electronics loose me completely.

TLT-1 steering 9 years 6 months ago #31601

No problem nodtec I'm like you. (not for the e type but with cars diagnosis) ;)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.