Keyword

TOPIC:

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 8 years 7 months ago #35083

Measured some AA's sitting around the house with plastic calipers:
Eneloop 4th gen: 50.2 mm
Fujitsu "White": 50.2 mm (supposedly identical batteries to the eneloops)
Engergizer: 50.2 mm (Alkaline)
Biltema orange: 50.4 mm (Alkaline generics from a cheap auto parts store)
Varta "High energy" 50.1 mm (Alkaline, blue packaging)
Clas Ohlson 2300mAh 50.2 mm (Rechargeable NiMh)

Most of them measure 50.2 mm then. with a caveat on the calipers being cheap and plastic.
I could just squeeze the Vartas in and verify that the transmitter works. But it can't be good for the springs.

Luckily I had my patented battery extractor device ready for removing them after (plastic baby feeding spoon)

Back on topic: the power indicator light on this unit is really soft and mellow that lights and fades slowly. My guess is that there's an actual incandecent bulb in there.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 8 years 6 months ago #35525

Now made into a sticky topic, should have been a long time ago! :)
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 8 years 5 months ago #35669

:huh: received with a baja champ.
1 techniplus mk V in 27 mhz ( out of my mess) with 1 AR 201 receiver and AS-12 servos

strange combo. Maybe one late model???
Attachments:

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 8 years 1 month ago #36742

Update February 2016 - Change(s) of Ownership, the mk.VII "A" .. and the end of Acoms?

Mk.VII (AP-202) - all boxes are marked as Acoms, but only some have an Asahi (Asahi Communisations = Acoms) logo, on later boxes any mention of Asahi is gone, mostly changed to "Think Happy". Looking at the corresponding manuals, both show Acoms, but the back page shows the manufacturer has changed from Asahi Corporation to CCP Co., Ltd (3-1-8, Sakae-cho, Kawaguchi, Saitama, 332-8521, Japan).

Looking at the "Mk.VIII", all boxes (I think) have the "Think Happy" logo & the manuals all show CCP Co., Ltd as the owner/manufacturer.

On the "Mk.IV" 2.4GHz stick sets, all are also "Think Happy" logo'd & show CCP Co., Ltd as the owner/manufacturer.

Note: I looked at both the CCP website (www.ccp-jp.com/) and that of the Bandai/Namco group (www.bandainamco.co.jp/) but both are quite impenetrable, even with Google translate

Given the above, I've revised the chronology to include a note on the "Mark VII-A" and put in end dates of 2015 on that and the "Mk.IX" 2.4ghz offering, during which supplies of both seemed to dry up entirely.

I can only speculate as to the reasons for the apparent end of Acoms, but it does seem a shame to me - the AP-202 27mhz ("mk.VII-A") sets were both cheap and competant, and while the 2.4ghz sets had some flaws (audio only trim adjustment, looks, and to a certain extent, price), nostalgia alone would I think have guaranteed a place for it. :(

Just edited/appended the 1st post re change(s) of ownership (with hindsight the information was already there, but no-one had put 2 + 2 together :whistle:) & apparent end of Acoms as a brand :(

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 8 years 1 month ago #36979

Some time ago I bought a small job lot of "old" servos & RXs, I fianlly got around to looking at them with a view to cleaning/repairing/testing & using them - & found a previosuly unseen Acoms AS-5S servo. As this falls between the AS-5 and the AS-7, I've attributed it to the mk.III set.

There were also 3x ARB-227 RXs with little to no antenna so that got me looking at the unsolved wire length question - previously I'd found theoretical anwers of 24" or 38", and comparing the illustration in the manual with the bundle of wire each length produces, I'm going with 38" (965mm) so have put that in the first post, along with a caveat.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, stingray-63

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 7 years 9 months ago #39076

An NIB mk.ii set came up on eBay with a reasonable buy-it-now price so I snapped it up. Box was obviously toast, even in the listing & on arrival it really is, both sun bleached _and_ water damaged, and the paperwork is wrinkled & stained too. However, genuinely NIB sets are so rare (most sets claimed to be "new" are so obviously used sets put back in a box) I'm pleased to have it - no doubt something will come along that I feel is worthy of using it in :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63, AndyAus

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 7 years 9 months ago #39097

Cool! I don't think I've seen a true NIB of these before :)

An NIB mk.ii set came up on eBay with a reasonable buy-it-now price so I snapped it up. Box was obviously toast, even in the listing & on arrival it really is, both sun bleached _and_ water damaged, and the paperwork is wrinkled & stained too. However, genuinely NIB sets are so rare (most sets claimed to be "new" are so obviously used sets put back in a box) I'm pleased to have it - no doubt something will come along that I feel is worthy of using it in :)

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 7 years 9 months ago #39102

Cool! I don't think I've seen a true NIB of these before :)

... apart from the last one I bought ;) (no longer NIB as I've fitted _and_ used it)...

I got around to looking at the new Mk.II set ... box is a little dog-eared around the edges but the colour is still very good...

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 7 years 9 months ago #39103

Spotted this AW-27 steerwheel TX on ebay & although the internal battery holder is missing (2x2x2 AA, I've already ordered a generic one to adapt) I thought it was worth having ...

It was minging when it arrived - I really had to wash my hands after unpacking it :sick: - but after a going over with baby wipes, then Novus "Plastic Clean & Shine" on the case, Autosol on the antenna, and wet & dry paper on the foam it's a lot better.

Boxy styling puts this AW-27 at around the time of the mk.III or mk.IV, but servo reverse switches didn't appear on stick radios until the mk.IV. Dual Rate adjustment has never been on Acoms stick radios, maybe it is on later steerwheel TXs, at this point I don't know.

Note the steerwheel on the left side of the case - I've never got on with steerwheel transmitters before, so this appealed, but I did wonder why there were right- and left-handed versions with the same part number ... looking at it, it seems probable the the top can be turned 180 degrees & refitted, I'll investigate if further at some point I guess.

I did consider expanding the 1st post here (and my collection) to cover all the steerwheel variants - but someone has already done it at rc-tamiya.cekuj...i.a22.html :y:

Technipsort 2.4GHz - predates 2.4Ghz stick set by 18months / 2years? (and ceased production same amount of time before the stick set)
Technisport Hayabusa - very similar to Technisport 2.4GHz but 27, 40 or 75MHz
Attachments:

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 7 years 9 months ago #39120

Well would you look at that, A pistol grip control that can change to suit Lefties or Righties :y:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Last edit: by AndyAus.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.