Keyword

TOPIC:

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #31009

... I'm wondering if I added some colour to the glass how it I could tune the finish to the parts :huh:

Sort of "blast dyeing" ... I'm not sure why you'd want to, unless you want to make the bits look old, artificially, without the damage/stains ... even then I think there are better/more permanent ways of doing it (colour wash, satin lacquer, etc).

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #31018

I'm wondering if I added some colour to the glass how it I could tune the finish to the parts

You could try a product called alodine, they use it on carburetors etc

Last edit: by AndyAus. Reason: quote link repair

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #31023

Anyone got any cunning plans for dealing with static electricity build up? Despite the dust extraction I'm finding the plastic over the window attracts dust within seconds & builds up quite badly ... I checked the manual but it lists the cause of this as "dry conditions" without offering up a solution - it NEEDS to be dry in there otherwise the feed will get bunged up. I'm thinking a bit of wire taped to the window & earthed would do the trick, even if it's a bit crude.

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #31024

Two things to do. put earth lead to ground, stops sparks. Throw plastic sheet into bin and if you have perspex window change to glass. If you blast away from glass it'll last years, besides, glass is cheap. If you're getting new glass sections, get 2-3 cut at same time and ask if they have second hand or seconds. It doesn't have to be perfect, my last ones cost me $5 each, theyre about 300mm x 500mm each.

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #31026

You can use them for 'rubbing down' parts before painting. You just tidy up edges, flash over, sprew nibs etc, then just a light 'wash over' with blaster, took about 15 seconds to do WW1 chassis. A quick tub in detergent and water, dry off and paint.

Attachments:

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #31028

You can use them for 'rubbing down' parts before painting. You just tidy up edges, flash over, sprew nibs etc, then just a light 'wash over' with blaster, took about 15 seconds to do WW1 chassis. A quick tub in detergent and water, dry off and paint.

I know right ;) I purchase My cabinet after my neighbour used his to clean up the body for the Marui build (pg 6 of the cen & marui build thread) I realized how useful it would be and haven't stopped cleaning parts since. However this thread is more about how the various alloy parts respond to different blast media :)

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #31029

Anyone got any cunning plans for dealing with static electricity build up? Despite the dust extraction I'm finding the plastic over the window attracts dust within seconds & builds up quite badly ... I checked the manual but it lists the cause of this as "dry conditions" without offering up a solution - it NEEDS to be dry in there otherwise the feed will get bunged up. I'm thinking a bit of wire taped to the window & earthed would do the trick, even if it's a bit crude.

The air hose adapter finally arrived so I got to have a quick play with the blasting cabinet ... on the plus side, it seems very air tight - too much in fact as I forgot to take the blowhole bung out of the back (& fit the filter disk & holder) & turned the hoover, sorry, _dust extractor on full speed .. the gloves snapped to attention, the cabinet creaked alarmingly & the perspex window bowed in by at least 50mm in the centre :blink: in the couple of seconds before I shut it off again. I don't think any dust escaped in use either

I'm surprised you are having this trouble, I'm not using a VAC and have a 120mm hole (across) in the back of the cabinet with an internal covering shaft and 20mm hole in the side for flow. I wonder if for what ever reason you are getting enough flow :dry: :huh: ( I to have the plastic film over a glass panel window)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.