Keyword

TOPIC:

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 7 months ago #30305

Starting on the wings ...

Centre section glued up & sanded....

More wrinkles in the tissue :(

Glue/Paint test successful :)

More work on the wings ...

I won't ever complain about an injection moulded kit again ... well that's not true :whistle: but compared to an old fashioned stick & snotrag kit like this, they're a lot easier in some ways. For instance, obviously wings taper - but the parts don't. The leading edge (see the last pic here in particular) needs to be 1/2" by 1/4" at its widest point, not counting the need to sand it to a curved profile, so it's 1/2" by 1/4" all the way along - even at the far end where the correct shape is only waffer thin, tapering to nothing. This makes for a lot of super fine sawdust. I'm going to see if I can rig up some sort of extraction before I do the other wing. :pinch:

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 7 months ago #30364

Not feeling like I'm making a lot of progress here ... I've sanded & tissued the 3rd part of the main wing, but otherwise, not so much ...

Before starting on this I read up what I could find on t'internet on this kit , and having done a fair bit of work on it I remembered a couple of things - firstly the chap that commented the Guillow's DC-3 kit was the best he'd built - I can only assume the kits he'd done before were a complete dogs breakfast because it's getting increasingly fiddly - the rear wing needs to be balanced on 12 balsa shims, some of them edge on ... predictably enough there's no way that'll work, so I glued them on snapped them off later. It still needs a lot of sanding & I hope that improves the look of it ...

Second thing was someone complaining about how bad the kit propellers looked & had to be replaced - my thought (having built mine) was "how about you just build them better?" Seriously, if you use them as the punched out pieces I imagine they would look pants but it's clear enough in the plan - each blade is supposed to have a twist & it was easy enough to get that - sand the top edge one side & the bottom edge on the other ...

I also built the engine nacelles - they needed an awful lot of fettling to get the plastic bits dry fitted...

Attachments:

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 7 months ago #30366

:woohoo: I love your propelers Jonny.
The :sick: red propeler is for a planing models. Realy not realistic for a scale model. I'm more and more interested to buy a F4U one....

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 1 month ago #33162

Ok, I'm annoyed ... I thought I'd do a bit more on this so sanded the tail parts to shape, but now I can't find the tissue. I know the kit included enough to cover the whole 'plane once over, and I bought some more so I could double up & I know there was a load left. No reason to put it anywhere else than with the kit, and even if I did it's only a very small room to search, but nada. No doubt it'll turn up just after the new stuff I've had to order arrives :huh:

Attachments:

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 1 month ago #33189

There's a whole lot I can do while waiting on the tissue, unfortunately I wasn't particularly conscientious about taking step by step photos so there's nothing between this:

and this :whistle: :

There's a whole load of balsa filler drying in the gaps ATM ...
Attachments:

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 1 month ago #33190

You're doing a great job. I think to build these kind of models you have to be extremely patient as nothing happens quickly, in fact, as you said earlier, nothing seems to happen at all. I did buy an elcheapo wood kit many many many years ago, I can't remember if I ever finished it. Keep going, you're on the down hill run towards finished.looks great.

What's next, 1/4 scale model of an Airbus made of ice cream sticks?

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 1 month ago #33193

What's next, 1/4 scale model of an Airbus made of ice cream sticks?

TBH my future modelmaking is going to have to go backwards in terms of ambition :( , just finishing what I've already started, + a few plastic kits (no RC cars) I have squirreled away ... and a bunch of Wild Willy drivers I seem to have accumulated :huh:

:)

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 1 month ago #33207

Tail sections tissued & fitted, various greeblies ... another project to put to one side until spring arrives & I can paint it :whistle:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 1 month ago #33208

:) I never had the same result with the silk paper. always wrinkled results and flamed final :blush:
very nice to begin a bbq :laugh:

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 1 month ago #33475

In between the hail & high winds I managed to get some primer on, I have to do a bit of sanding but mostly it really is going to be waiting now ...

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.