Keyword

TOPIC:

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 3 weeks ago #33577

Weather was surprisingly good yesterday, so I got two coats of "aluminium" sprayed on, + wing edges brush painted NATO black, tyres Rubber black, nose cone blue, prop tips aren't supposed to be marked but I wanted to put something on there ... cockpit windows & anti glare panel are black vinyl as I didn't fancy painting them, I've cut the windows out of the side transfers & cut black vinyl to match the cockpit.

Also made some transfers - wing lights (instead of the card ones in the kit), engine fronts (from a big photo of the 1:1 engine I found online), + one for the side door outline - apparently that's supposed to be done with a permanent marker & straight edge, along with all manner of panel lines, I thought that was a recipe for making it look pants :whistle:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, TommieG, AndyAus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 3 weeks ago #33578

Now, that is a classic DC3!
Good thing you didn't paint it orange :silly:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 3 weeks ago #33579

I had hoped to get the transfers on today but the ones in the the kit are not working out - they're far too thick & show no willingness to stick or conform to even the slightest of curves. I know it's not my paint causing the issue as the homemade ones are fine.

I've scanned the surviving transfers & printed my own out, the lacquer is drying off now. TBH I don't think a balsa kit has anything over regular plastic kits apart from size - and I really think I would have been happier with the two Revell 1:48 'planes I could have had for the same money :whistle:

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 3 weeks ago #33580

Wich type of paint did you use Jonny?
Ps: Guillows are made to flight. Very light and the decals ate very thin to keep weight.

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 3 weeks ago #33614

DIY transfers ...

... and applied. Dark blue suffered a bit in translation (note poor colour match on nose) & text above passenger windows on this side should be italicised the other way, but what can you do ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

Guillow's 1/32 Balsa Douglas DC-3 (Dakota) 9 years 3 weeks ago #33617

Looks great :y: , I hope those details to bother you too much when it's hanging above your bed :P
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.