Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Vintage Tamiya Super Sabre Restore. Advice Please? 9 years 3 months ago #32893

As mentioned in my post last week, I recently came across my Super Sabre which I built around 25 years ago (oh the childhood memories). I would like to get to work on restoring it mechanically and would be grateful for any suggestions as this is the first time in all that time that ill be opening this up again. I take it I need to do the following:

1) Open up both gearboxes and re grease. Which grease should I use?
2) Same with the suspension and dampers including getting a new front shock. which oil?
3) New ESC unit (can I just chuck the MSC?)
4) Does the resistor type thingy (always used to get really hot) need to stay?
5) The engine is an Options House Spa unit which was what I used to replace the standard 540 motor when I couldnt get the technigold. I wonder if it will still work? Do I need to do anything to this itself?
6) New tyres as these have split.
7) obviously a new radio and transmitter. Do I keep the servo's?

Anything else guys?

Many thanks for your assistance in advance

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Vintage Tamiya Super Sabre Restore. Advice Please? 9 years 3 months ago #32894

The motor looks fairly clean, I don't think I'd do much more than give it a wipe over, then give the bearings a drop of light (or sewing) machine oil before spinning it up to see what it sounds like.

I don't know the spec of the motor (number of turns), I would guess it's in the 17/18/19 turn range - so you need to get an ESC with a number lower than that, I'd suggest something like the Modelsport/Mtroniks RV-12 @ 25 GBP. The ceramic resistor can go, unless you want to keep it for show.

If the transmitter & receiver work ok I don't see an immediate need to replace them, unless you really want to switch to 2.4Ghz (getting sick of swapping crystals at meets, interference etc).

Oil - it'll be specified as 40 weight, 400 weight or "medium" depending on who makes it. A small Tamiya bottle will be enough, assuming you replace the O-rings (almost certainly 3mm, part '# 84195 but do check). Grease - basic Tamiya stuff is fine, or you might want to go for their ceramic grease. If you've got a big tub of Castrol LM in the garage you can use tiny quantities of that.

I think the main thing you didn't mention was bearings - TBH they're (comparatively) so cheap now there's no excuse not to use proper metal ballraces (or replace them if you've already got them).

Battery technology has moved on a lot too, there can be an argument for switching to Lipo but TBH I'de suggest a couple of 3700mAh Vapextech NiMH stick packs & a suitable charger.

If you're keeping the body I'd also suggest a 3-part scratch removal kit from Novus - polishing out the areas of body not covered by decals & the "glass" will make it look an awful lot better.

I'd also suggest a small ultrasonic cleaner so you don't clog up the kitchen sink.

:)

edit - ps I edited your post to insert the photos ("insert" button once you've uploaded them).

pps - I'd recommend www.modellbau-seidel.de/ in Germany for Tamiya parts - the flat rate postage is expensive for 1 bit, but if you're going to get several the total price will be less than the UK & about the same as eastern imports :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Mooose

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Vintage Tamiya Super Sabre Restore. Advice Please? 9 years 3 months ago #32896

Cheers Jonny! I should have mentioned that I couldn't find the radio transitter so I will need a new one. I may go for a spectrum of some kind that can bind with a couple more RC buggys which i hope to build. I also should have mentioned that the motor is a Kyosho Option House Spa model Competition motor 240 WS. Dont know about the turns but it was rapid back in the day.

Thanks again!

Vintage Tamiya Super Sabre Restore. Advice Please? 9 years 3 months ago #32897

and thanks for sorting the photos :)

Vintage Tamiya Super Sabre Restore. Advice Please? 9 years 3 months ago #32899

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Vintage Tamiya Super Sabre Restore. Advice Please? 9 years 3 months ago #32928

Yep, there it is, middle bottom left. Thanks so much for that!
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Vintage Tamiya Super Sabre Restore. Advice Please? 9 years 2 months ago #33196

Hey pal, Ive started the rebuild/restoration and I just wondered if you can assist me with this please. The ESC unit I received with the Avante 2011 (which I havent started on yet) is the following:
www.ebay.co.uk/...0952064985

I just wanted to know, can I install this on my super sabre with the Koyosho Spa 240S '18' turn motor (as shown in the chart, bottom left, middle)?

Vintage Tamiya Super Sabre Restore. Advice Please? 9 years 2 months ago #33197

Hey pal, Ive started the rebuild/restoration and I just wondered if you can assist me with this please. The ESC unit I received with the Avante 2011 (which I havent started on yet) is the following:
www.ebay.co.uk/...0952064985

I just wanted to know, can I install this on my super sabre with the Koyosho Spa 240S '18' turn motor (as shown in the chart, bottom left, middle)?

Short answer - no.

It might be counter intuitive at first, but the fewer turns a motor has the more powerful it is (& the more current it draws).

Kit motors tend to be 27 turns, crawler/scaler motors then to be 45 to 60 turns (which much slower), "fast" motors tend to be in the teens - e.g. your Kyosho motor is 18 turns.

That kit ESC is rated to 25 turns, e.g. you can use any motor in it as long as it has at least 25 turns - e.g. the kit 27T motor, crawler motors (45T+), or very mildly tuned motors - not your 18T.

You need to look for an ESC rated at a number lower than your motor, there are quite a few rated as 12T :)

Vintage Tamiya Super Sabre Restore. Advice Please? 9 years 2 months ago #33198

Thank you Jonny, as always. However, do you not find it surprising that this was included in the box with the Avante 2011 which has the 'Avante 2011 celebration' motor or whatever its called? I would have thought that would be below 25 turns at least (unless its utterly tardy).

Vintage Tamiya Super Sabre Restore. Advice Please? 9 years 2 months ago #33199

Thank you Jonny, as always. However, do you not find it surprising that this was included in the box with the Avante 2011 which has the 'Avante 2011 celebration' motor or whatever its called? I would have thought that would be below 25 turns at least (unless its utterly tardy).

It's a 25T "GT tuned" motor, apparently.

:)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.