Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Boomerang drive issue 9 years 1 month ago #33478

Gents, your input would be much appreciated because this issue has flummoxed me. This Boomerang has a peculiar issue relating to the rotation of its front wheels. When the car is in its natural stance and they're spinning, the rotation is not smooth. There is a raise in the axle that takes place at a certain point in its rotation which prevents the wheels/axles from turning smoothly. However, the issue vanishes completely when the front damper is depressed. I have stripped the front suspension and checked the axles and shafts. Everything is fine. Nothing is bent out of shape and all turns smoothly as it should until everything is re-assembled and the car is back in its natural stance. I have filmed the issue so as to help in understanding what im describing. As you can see, the problem is highlighted more visually when the wheels are powered using the battery/transmitter.

Many thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tamiya Boomerang drive issue 9 years 1 month ago #33479

:) I think that it's because of the angle of the shafts. it will be better with cvd or homocinetic shafts.
The following user(s) Liked this: Dam

Tamiya Boomerang drive issue 9 years 1 month ago #33481

• Dam
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!

:) I think that it's because of the angle of the shafts. it will be better with cvd or homocinetic shafts.

I think Stingray is correct. The angle of the dogbone is to steep. When you compress the shock it lessens the angle and it runs smoothly. Universal joints will work at a steeper angle and eliminate the wobble

Tamiya Boomerang drive issue 9 years 1 month ago #33482

Yes, it's binding in the dog bones.
Are you sure you have the correct length dog bones ?

You could "fix" the problem by inserting a spacer inside the damper, making the damper max length shorter.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Tamiya Boomerang drive issue 9 years 1 month ago #33483

What lars said (o-ring or two under the piston would do/ check if you've got one loose rear 'bone), you could also check how many o-rings (if any) are meant to be in each drive cup inboard/outboard - too many or in the wrong place could cause binding.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Tamiya Boomerang drive issue 9 years 1 month ago #33490

Ok been reading up... The re-re Boomer is known to have these problems, caused by using the wrong uprights.

The kit comes with two sets of uprights, one set on the c-parts (not to be used), and one set separately. If you have used the ones from the c-parts, you will have binding.

In other words, your dog bones are probably fine, but most likely you have the wrong uprights.

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Attachments:

Last edit: by larbut.

Tamiya Boomerang drive issue 9 years 1 month ago #33492

I have cv's in my Boomerang which I've just finished and as Stingray muted I have no issue, just for you to double check my shock is 85mm center of mount to center of mount :)

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Tamiya Boomerang drive issue 9 years 1 month ago #33493

Also all 4 drive shafts are the same length, the hub drives are different front to rear. The fronts are silver and rear are black :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Tamiya Boomerang drive issue 9 years 1 month ago #33504

Guys, thank you so much for all your feedback and suggestions. I dont have alternative shafts as touched upon by Lars. I wonder though, if it was this issue then surely every re re boomerang would have exactly the same problem. I dont see why tamiya would have included two sets of different shafts in the kit. Its madness. In any event, would you guys say I look for the alternative Tamiya shafts which should have been put on (as I dont have them) or just CV Shafts as suggested by Stingray and Andyaus (thanks for the video pal!)? Can you guys point me to a particular product/Part?

Tamiya Boomerang drive issue 9 years 1 month ago #33506

Really not sure but maybe manta ray universal shafts or terra scorcher ones. You can find ones made by GPM ( I puted a set of gpm on my slash. The only wich resist)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.