Keyword

TOPIC:

Texas Wild Baja rebuild 11 years 1 month ago #19552

Is the Baja gearbox a worm & wheel type? - how does it get on with freewheeling on the overrun? Just remembering stories of how a similarly geared electric car used to stop dead when you let off the throttle (Bolink Digger?)

Sorry, can't get excited about nitro cars, for me they have similar appeal to a bucket of sump oil with the contents of the cat's sand box dumped in it! You could say I'm not a fan, although it's nice to see a vintage one being lovingly restored, & I find it interesting to see how vintage mechanical stuff was done

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Texas Wild Baja rebuild 11 years 1 month ago #19580

just started reading this thread what a nice car its great how a new bodyshell finishes a car off so great looks ace B) B)

I'm glad you like, I just need to complete some real world projects and that should free up some time to work on this :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Texas Wild Baja rebuild 11 years 1 month ago #19584

Is the Baja gearbox a worm & wheel type? - how does it get on with freewheeling on the overrun? Just remembering stories of how a similarly geared electric car used to stop dead when you let off the throttle (Bolink Digger?)

Yes it's a worm and wheel (thought i'd posted a pic of the internals :huh: ) With it being nitro, the engine has a centrifugal bell clutch like a chainsaw (or similar) so unless it's under power it runs free

Sorry, can't get excited about nitro cars, for me they have similar appeal to a bucket of sump oil with the contents of the cat's sand box dumped in it! You could say I'm not a fan, although it's nice to see a vintage one being lovingly restored, & I find it interesting to see how vintage mechanical stuff was done

That's what makes us individual :laugh: I like that not everyone likes exactly the same thing, that's how we have ended up with such a broad range of techniques / finishes and cars here ;) I have to admit that nitro cars are painful, however like you I do marvel at the engineering especially the vintage ones :laugh: andy..

(sorry this was the only pic i could find)

Attachments:

Last edit: by AndyAus.

Texas Wild Baja rebuild 11 years 1 month ago #19589

Ahh, looking at the pic 50 & 51 look like crossed helical gears, not worm & wheel, explains why it can freewheel.
Are 44+42 acting on 41 as a brake? Or is 44 just a throttle relay?
Castings are chunky!

Texas Wild Baja rebuild 11 years 1 month ago #19595

Ahh, looking at the pic 50 & 51 look like crossed helical gears, not worm & wheel, explains why it can freewheel.
Are 44+42 acting on 41 as a brake? Or is 44 just a throttle relay?
Castings are chunky!

Your right crossed helical it is :laugh: yeah 44 is just a throttle link, I think this is a hop up as I haven't seen it on any car, it may depend on the type of engine? I like it as a technical add and might manufacture 1 to put on just cause ;) Mine came with a really long throttle rod which ended up too flexy.

Texas Wild Baja rebuild 10 years 11 months ago #21393

Finally made some progress on this :ohmy: I trimmed out the radio box to accept the gearbox mount plates, since I don't want to modify them. It sits back perfectly to allow space for the steering linkage rods and the wheels in full lock :) I also put 2 slits at the back of the top cover for it to fit. I don't plan on painting the box, so you will see all the components plus i'll leave the protective film on until finished :laugh:

Attachments:

Texas Wild Baja rebuild 10 years 11 months ago #21457

Ordered up some Alloy body posts for the beastie, they are anodized blue, but i'll remove that and polish them up nice :) only problem is I received a message from the supplier today who said it could take 3-6 weeks for them to arrive :ohmy: :huh: :blink: :(

Attachments:

Texas Wild Baja rebuild 9 years 6 months ago #31422

I love the little muffler, looks the part. B)
You're luck it's in such good nick, mustn't have had much use and nothing appears broken. :y:

Texas Wild Baja rebuild 9 years 2 months ago #33106

So the Nanda BD8sc-e 1/8 :) as I mentioned in the "exercising the dog" topic I ordered a nice new motor and esc to handle the 2 5200mah 7.2v lipos I picked for it :woohoo: Well they arrived tonight but unfortunately I forgot to check the motor dimensions :whistle: It is to big to fit in the stock cradle and location :woohoo: Now ordered a new center mount assembly to deal with that :y: :laugh: but I want go fast now! :laugh: :laugh:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Texas Wild Baja rebuild 8 years 7 months ago #35478

So after spending hours trying to wedge the Flux gear in to this, it just wasn't meant to be :pinch: So another combo with a shorter motor and she just squeezes in :woohoo: Just need to sort the top brace plate and I'm good to go B) Oh and to help my therapy I ordered a new body too :lol:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.