Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Hilux 12 years 3 months ago #6258

Found and bought a lot of Hilux parts together with a complete runner some time ago. The runner was not at all bad, but i could not resist starting a build with as many as possible of the NOS-parts in the lot. Opening the blister packs is scary....

The cars as they were advertised. You can't really see it, but the white body had been in a chrash of some kind, with broken (but present) A pillar, and broken (and missing) B-pillar on the left hand. Otherwise, the body was really good. Never painted and scratch free.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya Hilux 12 years 3 months ago #6259

Started by tearing down the runner, because the previous owner, had changed the new frame onto the runner, for some reason. I wanted to build on that frame, so the teardown was necessary.

I decided to use the mehanism box alredy attached to the chassis, but replaced the crossmembers, simply because of the quality.

Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Hilux 12 years 3 months ago #6260

everything for the car was not NOS, though, so i still have some parts I need to source. Should try to find a good front crossmember, as the one on it now is slightly rusted.Could also need a good lid with tabs/mounts for the front cab. Overall, not too much missing, so it's mainly rebuilding it.

Blister packs before opening...

Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Hilux 12 years 3 months ago #6261

Nervous....

Here you can see the damage to the front cab. Although it has been started a repair, I still will go for the other cab that was in pieces, just because everything was there. Will sell off the rest of the parts as a project, so this broken cab will go there.

I will go for this cab instead, as it has all parts, and glued back together fairly easy.

Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Hilux 12 years 3 months ago #6267

Great project and some lovely new parts. :)

Re: Tamiya Hilux 12 years 3 months ago #6281

You're a braver man than I, opening those blisters... Think if it'd have been me, I would have stuck them on Ebay & bought myself a second hand Rolls (Or another hilux) with the funds! I often wonder what exactly I would do if I found myself owning an unbuilt boxed one - that's a dilemma I don't really want to even think about!

Re: Tamiya Hilux 12 years 3 months ago #6301

I totally see the dilemma. I once bought 6 NIB kits.(Grasshopper, Wild One,Lancia Rally, Super Sonic, Brat and Frog) I sold or traded all for resto projects. That is what's fun for me. Building new isn't really that fun. Only one I regret selling off is the Grasshopper, actually, because that was the first one I bought as a child. Pure nostalgia. The Hilux on the other hand, was not NIB, but had some blisterpacks. All screws were already taken out of the bags, so I didn't think it was that much of a chrime. Had it been a NIB, I would never have dared touch it... But I think it will make a good shelf queen, in the end.

Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Hilux 12 years 3 months ago #6311

Tasty, far tidier than mine!

Re: Tamiya Hilux 12 years 3 months ago #6379

Inspired by Johnny Retro, I have started some fiddling with broken parts. First off was the body (the black one that was broken in three pieces). Simply paintstripped and glued back together. Quite easy fix- Feels strong, although I might reinforce with some milliput.

After repairing the cab, I focused on the front, as this was also broken.

Before repair:

After using some fiddling with glue, making of fitting plastic sheets, it was reinforced with milliput, and is ready for some sanding. I like to do my sanding outside, in nice weather, so I think it will have to wait a while... Right now, we have a harsh period with -20 degrees centigrades and below, so there is not much happening outside...

Re: Tamiya Hilux 12 years 3 months ago #6382

Wow that is one awesome project and car!!! I always wanted one of those but still i can't get my hands on a nice one to rebuild....:cry:

Note to myself; GET A HILUX!!!! :woohoo:
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.