Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Repro decals horror 9 years 4 months ago #32089

When I look at the original decal sheet posted above, it becomes clear to me that all Tamiya references (logos, names) are missing on the repro. The rest looks quite nice with one exception. On one side there is quite a big gap between two of the colours on the yellow/orange stripes. I'll post a scan tomorrow.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Repro decals horror 9 years 4 months ago #32094

Here is the repro decals from MCI_racing:

You can clearly see the gap in the stripes. The colours on one of the "Champion" decals are also lined up wrongly.

The white decals are "invisible" in the scan, due to white backing on the sheet. But they are there, DIRTSTARS x2 (wrong font), C.V.A.SHOCKS x2, HOTSHOT II x3, JACKMAN WHEELS x3 (misspelled as JACKSON WHEELS. Didn't notice that at first....), as well as three white "panels". The Yellow "Upset Unwin" x2 have a different font.

So to sum it all up....

What's missing:
The Big red "TAMIYA" decal
The two small Tamiya logos
The yellow "Caution!Hot" resistor decal
The "BELL" decal
The "On Off" switch decal

Bad prints:
Yellow/orange/red stripes
The "CHAMPION" decal (1 good, one bad)

Misspellings:
"Jackman Wheels" -> "Jackson Wheels"

Wrong fonts:
"DIRTSTARS" (wrong font, but close enough....)
"Upset Unwin" (completely different font)
The numbers (wrong font, but close enough)
"Jackson Wheels" (wrong font as well as the misspelling)

Well, what I initially thought was a good effort from MCI_racing, became a lot worse when I compared it to the original decal sheet. What I haven't been able to check is the size of the decals. Remember that some of the decals on the MCI "Kyosho Beetle" repros were smaller than the originals.

Man, how I miss the good times of screenprintdigital.

All in all this one is another no-go from MCI_racing. Some of the decals could be used as a supplement if you already have an incomplete original sheet, as the over all printing quality is quite good. It's just a shame that they can't seem to get the fonts and the colour placement right.
Attachments:

Last edit: by TommieG.

Repro decals horror 9 years 4 months ago #32101

HI!... I was looking at their BIGWIG and Wild One decals. The Wild One doesn't look bad but I see a few problems with the BigWig ones. 1st the driver's name is Lewy Lancaster, not Larry Landcaster. The stripe that wraps around the air scoop is supposed to be two colours, orange/red. Theirs is all red. U can also see a tiny bit of white line between the orange and red in the side striping.Also I just noticed that the Penzoil oval decals seem to say "SELF LUBRICATION" instead of Safe Lubrication. lol

Last edit: by THE H.P FREAK.

Repro decals horror 9 years 4 months ago #32102

HI!... I sent MCI_Racing a message through Ebay. Stating the problems with some of his decal sheets. He got back to me very promptly. This is what Nathaneal Ellis had to say :

***** Thanks for the input. I'll make some changes when I'm working on decals this month. I appreciate all the input from you die hard fans. Encourage people to let me know what details are missing and what they would like to see next. I depend on the tamiya fans to keep us moving forward. I'm always looking to improve.

Much appreciated

Nathaneal Ellis *****

I sent him a high quality scan of one of my BigWig decal sheets so he can make accurate changes.

So like he said, if you see something wrong with one of their decal sheets, let them know so they can make the appropriate changes. Hopefully we can get some great quality decals from these guys once all the bugs are worked out.

Repro decals horror 9 years 4 months ago #32103

Also I just noticed that the Penzoil oval decals seem to say "SELF LUBRICATION" instead of Safe Lubrication. lol

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Repro decals horror 9 years 4 months ago #32104

I looked at their Willy's Wheeler sets & though they're better than some, on the red set the blue is wrong (far too light) & out of register with the white underneath; on the green set the blue is still wrong, the green is also wrong (a bit too light) and the numbers are wrong (should be #1) ... not that great then :(

Repro decals horror 9 years 4 months ago #32106

Also I just noticed that the Penzoil oval decals seem to say "SELF LUBRICATION" instead of Safe Lubrication. lol

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I'm so glad they got the FACOM decals correct :blink: ;)

Repro decals horror 9 years 4 months ago #32107

So like he said, if you see something wrong with one of their decal sheets, let them know so they can make the appropriate changes. Hopefully we can get some great quality decals from these guys once all the bugs are worked out.

He should offer new sets of decals to those who find something wrong, or at least state in the eBay listings that some of the decals probably are wrong. I could have accepted one mistake, but if he sends out decals with so many errors like on the two sheets I've bought, it's not like he doesn't know they're there. I know it could benefit us if we helped them correct the mistakes, but I don't feel like helping them out if I'll have to buy two or three sets of decals from them before they are of a usable quality. For the price of 3 repro sets, I could buy an original sheet.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.