Keyword

TOPIC:

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31703

I did want to have a think about what I've learned from this project, and what I'd do differently next time (not that I'm going to build another one the same), so first thought about what Tamiya would do in the unlikely event they were to make a production version of this tractor...

For a start, they probably wouldn't design a new chassis, especially not one with part of the bodywork & interior built on/in, they'd use the Grasshopper chassis instead. They also wouldn't modify their vintage Holiday Buggy front wheel injection moulds (assuming they still have them), they'd use Wild One wheels & tyres. Rears would probably be the Montero rims & tyres, rather than having to include hex adaptors.

A sound module, or even provision for one wouldn't be an option at the likely price point, so that's a bit of space saved under the engine cover ...

Driver figure would be the regular full body Willy, not a hybrid Willy/4x4 driver requiring new moulds ...

Bodywork I'm sure would be vacformed polycarbonate rather than injection moulded ABS - but the cab would be problematic to do in one piece, so either it would have to be two pieces, a lower part with the engine cover, rear wheelarches & interior, plus a second part for the cab - or just omit the cab.

Either way I think they'd have to make the engine cover wider to fit the chassis, which brings up the point that I could have made that portion wider, taller, and a bit longer without ruing the scale look & that would have made fitting the battery & all the electronics in a lot easier.

TBH I'm not sure how that translates into anything I can apply to future builds, except maybe "plan to fit a sound module & speaker from the start, & go off scale to have the room"?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31704

What an excellent project JR :) and a great write up on it's performance to boot :y: love it :y: only part not for me is willy's helmet You've given the rest of him some originality but gone with the normal scheme on that :huh: I was hoping for a suitable country theme :P top job though B)

I'm all ears if you've got a suggestion, other than woven straw effect paint :whistle:

:)

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31705

Maybe a solid colour with white oval on each side with a nice "f" for fiat in it?

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31707

Appreciate the effort Andy, but that's not sufficiently different (or better) enough for me to want to change things ATM.

The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31708

Fake boxart; drawing lifted from the back of the Britains 1:32 box :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31709

Appreciate the effort Andy, but that's not sufficiently different (or better) enough for me to want to change things ATM.

:) I'll think on it some more ;)

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31711

Fake boxart; drawing lifted from the back of the Britains 1:32 box :)

Sorry I have to object!
I quote from the box art:

"1/10 Precise scale - EASY TO ASSEMBLE KIT - ...

Yeah, right..... :huh:

and:

Modelling skills helpful if under 10 years of age

So, if you're 11 you don't need modelling skill to make this?? :ohmy:

JR.. you are too modest.. :laugh: :laugh:

:silly:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31712

"1/10 Precise scale - EASY TO ASSEMBLE KIT - ...

Yeah, right..... :huh:

It was easier to put together than that Kitshack Vosper balsa/ply boat "kit" :blink:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31713

:) I'll think on it some more ;)

Steel plated :y:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31876

Starting work on the trailer, first some inspiration - this is a new Britains (also has ERTL on the toy, and Tomy on the box) NC Engineering vacuum slurry tanker with an "over-the-hedge" boom ... I had to check the box to see if they hadn't switched to 1:6 scale as it's twice the size I was expecting, but apparently it's still 1:32. It does look comically oversized hext to the tractor though, I won't be making this in 1:10 scale as that would mean an overall length of something like 750mm. It'll be the dimensions I feel are more appropriate, sort of a "one to you'll assume it's the same scale as it's behind a tractor" scale, probably something more like 1:18 to 1:20 scale. I don't think that'll be a problem as long as I change the nomenclature to something a bit smaller than the "2500" designation the 1:32 toy bears - which means a capacity of 2,500 gallons (or 11,250 litres :blink: ) - that's a lot of poo!

Some new tools:
- Archimedes drill for tiny drill bits
- electronic calipers; I keep losing in plain sight the ones I already have so a couple more might mean I can find one when I need it ... note the lack of stop screw & thumbwheel adjuster, these are also black and apparently made from Carbon Fibre Composite, but it looks suspiciously like regular plastic with some coal added in for colour & feel ;) Batteries were pretty much flat on arrival.
- large compass cutter; bought in the hope that larger = stiffer = less blade wandering (which was why I binned the small one I had)...
- metal protactor/ruler

The large compass cutter was ok at marking out, but wouldn't go in any further than about 0.5mm without significant twisting & blade wandering, so the tank baffles had to be snapped out, leaving them not particularly round ...

Making 24 strips & sanding them square was really tedious - but I think you can already guess where I'm going with this...

Notching the baffles was comparatively quick (with the Dremel), I have to fit a few more strips here but I wanted to get a feel for how the incut rear wheels would look. Lots of sanding will be needed to make the assembly as round as possible before skinning it with styrene sheet ...

The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.