Keyword

TOPIC:

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 7 months ago #35304

Juste awesome

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 7 months ago #35308

Well what can I say :) , this started off as a used body resto with two "builders" who over a year both let me down. I then came on this forum as a last resort that somebody would take the build on, if I couldn't find anybody the next stop was to list the Sand Scorcher shell and bits on ebay and just keep the Rough Rider body and chassis as I was that fed up with being let down :( .Fortunatly Jon kindly offered to take the body resto on but it wasn't as simple as just a build,the previous botched paint job had to be removed and all the parts were in a used condition.When I saw the finished body and the high standard it had been built to I asked Jon if he would restore the chassis to match the restored body which he kindly agreed to do.As you can see by the pics the finished build looks like a brand new vintage 1980 Sand Scorcher and I consider myself very fortunate :) .Obviously you will be first Jon if I ever want to sell but to be honest i'm so delighted with it that its a keeper :), I'm now on the hunt for a glass case to house it and a Rough Rider when I find another chassis for restoring ;) thanks again Jon :y: .

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 7 months ago #35310

Sweet :y: The thin black edge's top it off for me B)

I agree, and the rest is just top notch! :y: :)
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 7 months ago #35356

better than the original!! i love the vw models!
maybe it's a good idea to open a topic which deals only with VW models

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 7 months ago #35363

:) Nice idea Poebe... :y:

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 7 months ago #35380

Who will start the topic?
Would you keep me informed when the topic is opened?

Okey... back on topic.

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 7 months ago #35381

:) I can if you want but it will be very light for me. I don't think that it will be very interesting (for my collection)

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 7 months ago #35439

I've taken on a vintage Sand Scorcher shell to repaint, it doesn't look too bad in this shot (I've already removed the nose, rear lights & door handles that were still attached) but was riddled with paint faults...

The inside is no better - badly sprayed black with a lot of white spray drift, runs, extreme tape bleed & a crusty build up of white around the window edges.

Between all the problems & not knowing what sort of paint was used, it all needs to come off.

Amazing project of Baja Bug. Thanks for detailed photos.

The blue came off fairly easily, blasting with fine glass bead - it looks like the paint was laid down straight on to the bare plastic :blink:

The white was another matter - it's in two distinct layers (white primer & paint?) & both are extremely well bonded ... between that & not being able to see where I've been in the blasting cabinet, chemical stripping is goign to be needed.

The black inside (possibly with a grey primer) was also very well bonded/etched into the plastic, it took swapping out the fine beads for glass grit to get this far...

The "glass" on the other hand just needed a good going over with the 3-step Novus plastic polishes to bring back a bit of sparkle.

:)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.