Keyword
Please take care when trading with people you don't know personally. To safeguard yourself as much as possible do/check the following:
- check the other party's ebay feedback (check his profile on TB, or ask for ebay ID) Send them an email through ebay to make sure.
- ask for references at this forum.
- check the members status on TB. Is this his first and only post or an experienced/well known member?
- Only pay through a secure payment provider, like Paypal. Make sure you pay for an item, not for a Service, as a Gift or other types of payment.
- Exchange real names and telephone numbers up front, and check them out.
- only offer shipping with full online tracking.
TamiyaBase.com is not a party in trades made on the basis of this site. Buyer and seller are sole responsible for their trades and for working out a safe way of payment and delivery.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

brat bits 9 years 2 months ago #32723

hey folks,
i know there are bits on eBay BUT this is likely going to be the car to teach my son with... original subaru brat complete with MANY battle scars. i will post pics at some point, but i'm basically after the rear body parts, driver and a cheap as chips 540 motor. if anyone has them cheap i'm in UK (not sure where everyone is) both my motors have died due to bearings over the years it seems

Please Log in to join the conversation.

brat bits 9 years 2 months ago #32732

What do you mean by "rear body parts"? I have some rear body mounts for the ABS body you can have.

I built a Brat for my son to try to prise him away from the xbox. If it is going to be a runner, I have a couple of tips:
- Bin the original manual speed controller (MSC) and get a cheapy chinese electronic one (ESC). You can get them for about £6 from ebay and they work very well. The MSC can jam and send your car flying uncontrolled into a kerb. Nothing more offputting for a kid than that. It's also easier to drive and will run longer with an ESC.
- New motors can also be had for less than £10 from ebay. I recently bought two Tamiya Sport Tuned motors for about £20 posted from Banzai Hobbies. Second hand motors are a bit of a gamble.
- Think about getting the clear polycarbonate body from the rerelease Brat. Stronger and lighter than the original ABS hard body.
- My son's Brat is vintage which means it's 30 years old. We have had to replace nearly all the plastic suspension components due to breakages - the plastic gets brittle over time. I also think the big front wheels put a lot of strain on the suspension.
- If you have not already done so, ballraces are a very worthwhile and cheap upgrade. There should be a banner for "RCBearings" at the bottom of this page. The guy there is very helpful.

Brat build thread here.

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

brat bits 9 years 2 months ago #32738

Cheers Martin, i already looked through your thread and its pretty much where i'm coming from... the Brat is sooooo similar even down to the initials (different letters) on the bonnet!! it too is an original so 30 ish years old now.

re the motor i decided to lavish a few moments care to the old thundershot motor i have and so it now has a sweet spinning 540 old tamiya beast.

body wise my shell is pretty battered anyway so i may well patch it up and paint it as what can i harm?? the bits i wanted are the rear tailgate thingy... i was thinking of the polycarb but may look at what else fits, want to spend as little as possible for now BUT you know how they snow ball...

ESC OMG? i've never had anything to do with them so need to do some reading i guess. i have new to me radio gear as one of my old AS-7 servo's has thrown a hissy fit and thinks full tilt one way is actually centre?!? if i caan just plug an ESC in in the place of that servo however i'm good to go again with the old gear...

re ball race mine is fully raced so thats good i think.

found one of my tyres is now mis-shaped BUT that may well change with time (likely wishfull thinking)

Attachments:

Last edit: by Bulletproofbob.

brat bits 9 years 2 months ago #32739

Modern ESCs (for brushed motors at least) are very easy to set up. Normally you just plug them in and go. Sometimes you might have to mess around to get the motor running the right way, but that's pretty simple.

One thing you might consider is selling the old body to fund a new one. The clear windows in particular on the original Brat are rare and sought after (the rere versions are heavily tinted).

Alternatively I would be happy to trade the your body for a new ESC (still in the packet) and the Stadium Blitzer pickup body (the red and white one) shown in my build thread which fits the chassis quite well. It's not perfect, but quite presentable and fine for a runner. I think I have a used front bumper too.
Where are you in the UK?

brat bits 9 years 2 months ago #32790

Martin i will keep the offer in mind but i do have an urge to fix the body back up (not sure i should do it yet) as it was my first ever car... but if i do decide to part with it your the person with first refusal.

i have now seen the bits i need on ebay at about the £12 mark and it seems silly not to just buy them the more i've thought....

hmmmm maybe i should get this moved to a different part of the forum now?

Last edit: by Bulletproofbob.

brat bits 9 years 2 months ago #32793

Martin, are you looking for an original Brat body?
I might have one for you?

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

brat bits 9 years 2 months ago #32975

guys just asking about recouping a couple of quid here... i have got a working set of radio gear and now have a spare AS-7 servo and another thats playing up (cannot centre and wants to spin constantly) simply is it worth anything?

brat bits 9 years 2 months ago #32976

guys just asking about recouping a couple of quid here... i have got a working set of radio gear and now have a spare AS-7 servo and another thats playing up (cannot centre and wants to spin constantly) simply is it worth anything?

Depends on make/model & condition/completeness, but I would have thought any set of radio gear has got to be worth 15-20 GBP, the spare servo 4-5, and the broken one ... nothing at all.

brat bits 9 years 2 months ago #32977

Depends on make/model & condition/completeness, but I would have thought any set of radio gear has got to be worth 15-20 GBP, the spare servo 4-5, and the broken one ... nothing at all.

i assumed only the working one was any good BUT ive not seen the AS-7's on the bay of E so was unsure if they were worth nothing (hence non on) or were worth something.... i have a full set of a later acoms ap-202 radio gear which the reciever appears to be shot... gutted!! but i can get the car running and get rid of whats left i guess

brat bits 9 years 2 months ago #32978

wow 20 mins playing and i've sussed both the modern one and the old acoms AP-227 (well with one servo) so i will sell/store the old one and use the lighter moders one i guess

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.