0
0
0
s2sdefault
powered by social2s

 

One of the things I feared before starting my Rough Rider restoration, was to find a way to fix the roof. My roof had both lower lugs broken, so something had to be done.

 

This is my starting point, a nice roof, but the two lugs in front have broken off.

One solution would be to glue new lugs on, but I feared that would not be durable enough.

So I started looking for an alternative way, and opted for a way of clamping the roof into place, using the original screw holes in the body.

DSC01966
After some searching I found that the standard resistor covers was just what I needed. It has a 2mm threaded hole, and the right shape.

DSC01978
On this picture I have marked where I cut, using the Dremel. DSC01978
And this is what I had after cutting and some bending and grinding. I had to extend the longest section to give room for the roof pillars, but that vas easily done with a pair of pliers. DSC01978

Her the bracket is test fitted, with a screw through the standard hole in the body, through the threaded hole in the bracket.

DSC01978

And after completing the body, and painting the bracket flat black, it looks nice enough for me :-)

 

The finished Rough Rider can be seen HERE

DSC01978

 

 

Fast Forward to today (the above work was done "some" years ago), and the easiest solution is to buy a re-release Buggy Champ roof... But, then you will not have something truely original. ;-)

_____________________________
Written by Larbut