Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Comparisons of modern vs. vintage RC cars 6 years 11 months ago #43769

• Ken B.
  • Ken B.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
What are the real differences between modern RC buggies vs. vintage cars? I've been looking closely at both modern and vintage (as well as reissue) cars lately, and mostly, they still seem the same as they were 25-30 years ago. Only obvious difference seems to be whether older cars can handle brushless motors, or support LiPo batteries.

My biggest question about this issue is: Can vintage buggies win against modern cars at the races?

I look at cars like the RC10 or Avante, and even though they are 20-30 years old, they still featured a lot of aluminum and fiber parts. Modern cars seem to basically feature the same materials, independent suspensions, and oil-filled shocks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ken B..

Comparisons of modern vs. vintage RC cars 6 years 11 months ago #43774

For vintage tamiya, look better for an egress than an avante. Trimmings are easier and less fragile. And you have a carbon chassis.

Comparisons of modern vs. vintage RC cars 6 years 10 months ago #43792

• Ken B.
  • Ken B.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
Thanks, stingray-63, for the response. I am aware of the various Tamiya models, like the Egress. But this does not answer my question.

My question basically centers around why cannot vintage high quality racers compete against modern racers.

I used to own an Associated RC10 and a Team Losi JRX2 many years ago. I also had a Tamiya Blackfoot and a Yokomo YZ10. Aside from the Blackfoot, these were fairly high end units, at the time. Thirty years ago, one could already get graphite and fiberglass chassis. Aluminum, hardened steel, nylon reinforced plastics, and even a few titanium coated parts were available back then. You could already adjust camber, toe, ride height, add anti-roll bars, and many options for shocks and motors were available.

As I look at the newer cars that are $300 to $500 and up, I do not really see many improvements in these new vehicles, except that they seem to support brushless motors and LiPo batteries. The new cars still have basically the same shock and suspension systems. They have carbon fiber part available now, which is similar to graphite and fiberglass.

I was told by a shop owner that vintage cars could not compete with modern buggies, and my question is: why? If I could already have the same shocks and suspension systems, add on brushless motors, and use modern tires on a vintage buggy, why would it be unable to compete?

Last edit: by Ken B..

Comparisons of modern vs. vintage RC cars 6 years 10 months ago #43793

The matter with vintages is availabilty of spares. Some moderns rcs support lipos and brushless motors. Their conceptions are made for. But several models could support them.
After, manufacturers need to sale new models. That's normal.

Another point, conception, materials and several trimmings had some evolutions like in real cars life. Materials are the same but cars are more efficient with better power same if they use steel, aloy, carbon, and magnésium.
That is the natural évolution.
A f103 is more efficient than a ralt f2 and a f201 is better than a f103.
Look at the avante and the egress:
The avante use a complexe suspension system with many trimming abilities, and the egress uses a simplier suspension system. And the egress is the évolution of the avante. And more expensive.
Another example, the tt01 and the ta02. Twins are 4x4 with a central axle. But the tt01 is more efficient.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.