Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The history of the Blackfeet 5 years 6 months ago #52346

Help me understand the history of the various Blackfoot models. I see what's in the database, but I'm confused on some of the details.
  • 58058 Blackfoot was the original for which the chassis was named. Released in 1986. Re-released in 2016 as 58633 with minimal changes.
  • 58110 is the Super Blackfoot from 1992. What's the difference between this and the original? What makes it super? From the picture, it appears to have the same body. It is still the Blackfoot chassis but it looks a bit different with vertical rear shocks. Other than that all I can see are spiked tires and new stickers.
  • 58192 King Blackfoot is 5 years later and has a new body. Still listed as Blackfoot chassis but shock towers appear to be strengthened. Anything else?
  • 58312 Blackfoot Extreme is from 2003. New body with hood scoop. New double motor chassis. I can see how this one is very different than the others.
  • 58498 Blackfoot III from 2011. Another new chassis. Appears to use the same body as 58058 and 58110. Why is called "3" if it is actually the 5th Blackfoot (or 6th if you count the QD)? Why is it considered a re-re of the Super Blackfoot rather than a re-re of the original?

I just finished building the Blackfoot III which got me thinking about all of this. I also have a 58633 on my shelf so I started wondering if I should try to complete the set. I love the way these things look in general. My feeling on the WT-01 chassis is that it's really too wide and makes the model look a little strange. The 58603 Amarok uses a narrow version of this chassis with shorter suspension arms. I'm wondering if I could swap these arms onto the Blackfoot to make it look a little better. Would also have to use shorter dog bones and steering rods of course.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The history of the Blackfeet 5 years 6 months ago #52348

The history of the Blackfeet 5 years 6 months ago #52349

Here is some reading material

Thanks, that was quite helpful! It introduces a couple of new questions though. Blackholesun indicates that the xtreme and the Blackfoot III share the same (disappointing) WT-01 chassis, but the TB database says that the xtreme is the WR-01 dual motor chassis. I think this may be an error in the database. BHS also indicates that King and xtreme share the same body shell, but it appears to me that xtreme has a hood scoop which King does not.

The history of the Blackfeet 5 years 6 months ago #52350

BF extreme has two and the BF III only one gearbox that's correct, both do use the same chassis.
BHS is a little off with the KBF (no scoop) shell but he mentions he can't get one and instead uses a BF extreme one (with scoop).

no scoop
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

The history of the Blackfeet 5 years 6 months ago #52363

Super Blackfoot uses the same chassis as the orginal, but the grearbox is totally different and are the same as the King Blacckfoot.
The Super also got new grill and Monster Beetle tires.
Gearbox uses the TL01 type suspension arms and axles etc.
The rear wheels are 12mm hex driven, instead of the orginal Hornet type wheel drive adapter.
Shocks are also new compared to the orginal Blackfoot.
Window glass are tinted instead of clear.

Also think Blackfoot III name came because that was the third time they used the orginal Balckfoot body (Orginal Blackfoot, Super Blackfoot and Blackfoot III).

King Blackfoot and Extreme Blackfoot does use the same general body, but the Extreme has a scoop and different grill..

King Blackfoot was the last one to have the ORV chassis,
King Blackfoot use the same gearbox and suspension as the Super Blackfoot.
If I'm not mistaken the Bush Devil uses the same body as King Blackfoot, minus the grill and bumper.

Last edit: by caprinut.

The history of the Blackfeet 5 years 6 months ago #52365

Thanks for all the good information, this has been really helpful. There seems to be some debate on whether the Blackfoot xtreme is the WR-01 dual motor version of the chassis or the WT-01 RWD version. I pulled the instructions last night and confirm it is actually a WT-01 RWD chassis (does not have two gearboxes). The TB database lists it as WR-01 so that seems to be wrong.

The history of the Blackfeet 5 years 6 months ago #52366

Thanks for all the good information, this has been really helpful. There seems to be some debate on whether the Blackfoot xtreme is the WR-01 dual motor version of the chassis or the WT-01 RWD version. I pulled the instructions last night and confirm it is actually a WT-01 RWD chassis (does not have two gearboxes). The TB database lists it as WR-01 so that seems to be wrong.

Extreme IS WT-01, and was the only model offered in that chassis form (2wd) for many years (2003-2011), before the Blackfoot III came in 2011.
Tamiya did not call it WT-01 before the Blackfoot III came along, but it's clearly the same chassis for the 2003 Extreme variant.
Why Thamiya choose to do so, is a mystery.

The history of the Blackfeet 5 years 6 months ago #52367

Looks like it would be a fairly simple matter to take the Blackfoot xtreme and turn it into 4WD. You just need a second gearbox. It uses the same front arms and hubs as the 2WD version. I might consider doing this to make it live up to the word "Extreme".

The history of the Blackfeet 5 years 6 months ago #52371

Thank you for the research and topic, Blakbird! (and the rest of you :cheer: )
I've updated The DataBase based on your input. (Blackfoot Xtreme being a WT-01 chassis.)

On a general note, I'm highly dependant on getting corrections to the DataBase, so any notification/correction is welcome :y:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, mongoose1983

The history of the Blackfeet 5 years 6 months ago #52384

• awk
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
From my memory , there is also a difference in the front axles of BF, SBF and KBF. SBF has longer wishbones and radius arm , new C-hubs to hold the new steering knuckes, I think they are the same as Kingcab ( the knuckles), and that are the Grasshopper ones with a longer axle. And the part where the radius arm mounts to and the bumper mounts to is a different shape while remaining the holes on the same position as on BF (one can interchange the two), and the shocktower with servo lid is also different.
The KBF again has another front axle design, it has lower monocoque wishbones, the radius arm is gone and the part where it mounted to. Therefore a new part was designed and adapted to the space frame. The c-hubs are the same as SBF but mounted differently to the wishbones.
O, and the Bushdevil body is made from lexan and was recycled for the Landfreeder.

Last edit: by awk.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.