Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Chroming plastic 5 years 4 months ago #52629

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what people are using for chroming plastic and Lexan these days. I use Alclad II for both apps. Works pretty well. Curious if anyone knows how the pros do it. I remember getting many a 1/24 scale stock car when I was little and the chrome was very nice and it was made in the the US and cost 4 bucks so it couldn't have been terribly expensive. Any ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Chroming plastic 5 years 4 months ago #52633

For something cheap and accessible I’d recommend Molotov liquid chrome. Check out a couple of recent posts, one from goldfish lately.

I’m afraid my opinion on chrome is there’s nothing like the real thing, and I’ve tried many products plus a 200 pound hydrochrome kit (which is awesome but far too much work).

Defiantly watch some YouTube vids on liquid chrome, some good results but look into the durability.

Chroming plastic 5 years 4 months ago #52639

Will do and thanks.

I have to agree but it is VERY expensive like you said.

Durability is my only complaint about the Alclad, sort of goes to powder after a bit..

Chroming plastic 5 years 4 months ago #52640

Alsa Easy Chrome seems to work very well, sticks to anything that can be painted, but's very expensive.
Would love to get hold of this paint and build a CCP tribute Lunchbox.

I've found a video a few days that shows what goes into painting with that stuff, also includes a side by side comparison of a real chrome bumper at the end.
He also thest the product by scratching it, and it's very easy to blend in a new mix of the chrome.

Chroming plastic 5 years 4 months ago #52689

I think you have covered all the bases here, the only other products I can think of are the spaz-stix line of chrome products and some new stuff from AK interactive I think they are all versions of the alcad product and the only way to really make them durable is to top coat them and that does reduce the shine a bit ( not on Lexan bodies ). I liked the video but it did not look like he was rubbing that bike helmet very hard to see if the chrome stayed on and there was no shot of the Moto helmet after he clear coated it, so it might be a bit of false advertising. I personally use Alcad both jar and spray and like the liquid chrome pen for touch ups, I am told you can decant it and air brush it too but I have yet to try it.

Chrome without electroplating is the modellers equivalent of turning lead into gold....good luck with it...:)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

The following user(s) Liked this: Purple_rob

Chroming plastic 5 years 4 months ago #52761

Chrome without electroplating is the modellers equivalent of turning lead into gold....good luck with it...:)

A bit of modellers Alchemy is required :)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.