Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55896

Some of you may be familiar with my recent project to take a Wild Willy 2 and make it look more like an original Willy by replacing the big balloon tires with Blazing Blazer tires and white steel wheels. I feel like it was reasonably successful.
Now I want to do something similar with the Montero/Pajero. I don't have a problem with the big tires on the Lunchbox and Midnight Pumpkin because they always looked that way. However, the Montero was not originally on the CW-01 chassis, it was on it's own chassis. The most obvious visual difference between the original 58044 Pajero and the updated 58499 Montero is the wheels and tires. No problem there, the original wheels and tires were the same as on the Subaru Brat, and since that has been re-re'd they are easy to get. They even bolt right on using the same unusual 5 spoke hub instead of 12mm hex.

The Pajero chassis and the CW-01 have a lot in common, almost everything. They begin with the same chassis tub and use the same rear axle and front suspension arms. However, the Montero is "lifted" by inserting extra parts as shown. This lift allows the battery to slide under the chassis tub instead of sit on the rear panel. If I leave the CW-01 as-is, it will be way too high with those much smaller tires. No problem for the front suspension. I will just omit the lift parts and put a smaller battery in the back. (Pajero - Montero)

For the rear suspension things are less simple. If I omit the part which lifts the rear axle, there is no place to install the axle. The shorter parts do not come with the Montero kit and the Pajero is long out of production. However, it looks like the Grasshopper uses the same parts, so I should be able to get those from the re-re. (Pajero - Montero - Grasshopper)

That's sorted, now what about the shocks? Not only will the shocks from the Montero now be too long, but the way they attach pushes the rod through the tub into the area where the battery will now be. That means I need the Brat shocks which also appear to be shared with the Grasshopper. Not only that, many of the needed parts are included on the parts trees of the Montero unused. (Montero - Pajero - Grasshopper)

The last thing I can think of is the wheelie bar which will almost certainly be wrong after all these height adjustments. I'm not sure what to do about that. What do you think? Will it work and have I missed anything? Someone will almost certainly tell me to just go buy an original Pajero, but I'm too far down the path now and this kind of thing is fun!
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, up_the_irons

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55897

Great introduction! I'm following this one. :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55899

I did that. With a corvette body and ascona wheeles.
Attachments:

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55900

I think the Pajero wheelie is one of those cars you either inexplicably love, or are just totally "meh" about... it's an odd loking thing with those little wheels ...

The rear shocks are the same as the Grasshopper, but they have an additional white plastoc collar to add preload. I suspect these are quite important to reduce squat & rebound when wheelieing. TBH I don't know where you'd find them - but the neck/spacer part from the Willy's Wheeler driver is a perfect fit, it just needs the height reducing & the hole drilling out. If you get stuck I can send you a couple of them as is, or modified ready.

The wheelie bar is very different to the Lunchkins etc, being oil finished pressed steel, longer, curvier, and with a bigger wheel in white plastic. However, from offering up a Luchkin wheelie bar to my Pajero wheelie, the actual angle of wheelie appears to be very similar, maybe a few degrees less.

I don't know if there's a good reason the Pajero wheelie has the wheel further back, but it could also be that the change was a cost saving measure.

From a mechanical/performance standpoint I don't see a real difference between the two, visually I suppose you could paint it black... I mean it's still wrong, but it would show you cared enough to try, sometimes that's all you can do. I have some "natural" Nylon 66 bar I could try turning a wheel out of.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55907

I had to test my new Unimat speed control so had a quick go at these bits...

Shock spacers should have a cone on the bottom but I'm sure these will function correctly, wheels are 15.6mm to match what I measured for the Pajero Wheelie & 13.7mm to match what I got on Lunchkins, brass bit will fit either - let me know if you want them :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55909

I think the Pajero wheelie is one of those cars you either inexplicably love, or are just totally "meh" about... it's an odd loking thing with those little wheels ...

Agreed. In fact I did not particularly care for the Pajero until I started building it. Comparing them though, I like the original better than the CW-01 version. I have the same odd feeling about the Honda City Turbo. It is just a bit too odd for me.

The rear shocks are the same as the Grasshopper, but they have an additional white plastoc collar to add preload. I suspect these are quite important to reduce squat & rebound when wheelieing. TBH I don't know where you'd find them - but the neck/spacer part from the Willy's Wheeler driver is a perfect fit, it just needs the height reducing & the hole drilling out. If you get stuck I can send you a couple of them as is, or modified ready.

I have a spare set of shocks from the Fast Attack Vehicle (I replaced them with Wild One oil shocks). It looks like they use the same springs and collar so I should be able to steal the parts from there.

The wheelie bar is very different to the Lunchkins etc, being oil finished pressed steel, longer, curvier, and with a bigger wheel in white plastic. However, from offering up a Luchkin wheelie bar to my Pajero wheelie, the actual angle of wheelie appears to be very similar, maybe a few degrees less.

I don't know if there's a good reason the Pajero wheelie has the wheel further back, but it could also be that the change was a cost saving measure.

I'll troubleshoot the wheelie bar once everything else is done since I won't know what I need until I see how everything fits. Obviously the part from the original Pajero would be ideal, but I don't think it was ever used in anything else.

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55910

I had to test my new Unimat speed control so had a quick go at these bits...

Shock spacers should have a cone on the bottom but I'm sure these will function correctly, wheels are 15.6mm to match what I measured for the Pajero Wheelie & 13.7mm to match what I got on Lunchkins, brass bit will fit either - let me know if you want them :)

Cool, thanks. If my plan to use the FAV collars doesn't work, I'll take you up on that offer.

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55915

The front body fixation is different on the original
More like marui cj7.

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55919

I found another difference. I was under the impression that the Montero and Pajero used the same chassis tub, but there are actually minor differences. In particular, see the images below comparing the forward shock attachment. The Pajero has a cutout in the tub but the Montero actually has a padded up area. This means if I try to install the original Pajero shocks they will be too short. I'll have to figure out how to use a longer bolt and some kind of spacer.

Similar but different ......
Attachments:

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55920

Differential case is différent to. I think that it is a grasshopper 1 gear case on the original montero.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.