Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55979

Not surprisingly, this turned out to be a lot more complicated than I anticipated once I started working on it. There were a couple of times when I almost gave up, but I managed to get there in the end.

The first obvious thing to do was change the tires. As I predicted, the Brat wheels and tires fit directly but they are a lot smaller than stock.
Here's a problem. The front spindles are way too long because the stock wheels are much deeper than the Brat wheels. I was able to steal the uprights from a Grasshopper which fit just right.
Here are the new wheels and tires installed, but now the clear problem is that the suspension is way too high.
I started modifying the suspension by removing the lift parts discussed earlier, but this revealed a new problem. The CW-01 mounts the steering servo differently than the original Pajero, and this makes it hang down and interfere with the suspension arms. I was able to modify the location by looking at the original Pajero instructions and drilling holes to match.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55980

Here the front suspension has been lowered and you can just see the new servo position. These pictures are before and after.
My plan was to use some donor shocks from a Fast Attack Vehicle to replace the now much too long original shocks. These are compared in the picture below. I ended up having to use a lot of spacers both inside the spring and above the deck because the upper attachment is in a different spot than the original as previously described. I also needed to use shorter steering tie rods. The second picture shows some of the parts I used while experimenting.
The front is done! Looks like the back might need some work though.....
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55981

My plan for the back was to replace the shocks using FAV parts like on the front, then replace the axle support with the parts shown on the right. It didn't quite work out. One happy surprise though, is that the parts trees that come with the CW-01 include all the plastic parts required to make the rear shocks. All you need are the rods and springs from the FAV.
The problem is that the new (old) rear shocks interfere with the motor. This is because the CW-01 uses a 12mm motor spacer to move the motor out and install a long, tiny pinion. Presumably this small pinion was needed for the big wheels. I was able to remove the spacer and the 10 tooth pinion and replace with an 18 tooth pinion like the Brat. This moves the motor and fixes the interference, and also makes the truck much faster.
Here's the installed rear axle after mods. Note the parts that had to be removed to change the shock mounting location.
Next issue: once the new smaller tires are installed and the suspension is lowered, the wheelie bar is not at a good angle. I did some cutting and grinding with the Dremel and was able to increase the wheelie angle as shown.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55982

Done. Before and after tire change:
Before and after lowering. Note that the wheelbase shortened in the back to line up with the body.
Overall before and after:
I can't even explain how great it works. This is by far a better wheelie machine now than my Midnight Pumpkin, Lunchbox, or Wild Willy. It will hold a wheelie all the way down the road, and it is fast and stable. Highly recommended mod.

For anyone interested in doing the same thing, here are all the parts I removed and replaced (as well as the wheels and tires of course).
Last thing to mention is that there is no spot under the chassis for a battery any more so a standard NiMH cannot be used. I switched to a small LiPo on the rear tray which also helps with the balance.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #55983

The finished product looks ace!
It now has a definitive vintage look to it, which makes me smile :)
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Montero Madness 4 years 8 months ago #56012

Excellent work sir :y:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.