Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

80's Falcon - That was my Dad's 4 years 7 months ago #56129

Good Day All

I have an older Falcon (my Dad built back in the 80's)
The car was NEVER run... I don't think so anyway.
I want to keep the body of course, but add a new body to this chassis to run with my Grandson...

So, my question is is the chassis a "Plastic bathtub" or a DT-02...or are those the same. I want to see what my replacement body options are.

Thanks much, as always

Please Log in to join the conversation.

80's Falcon - That was my Dad's 4 years 7 months ago #56130

The chassis, or rather the bathtub, is the same as on the Blitzer series of cars.

Bathtub is a generic term of a plastic chassis that that act as a bowl in lack of better description.

80's Falcon - That was my Dad's 4 years 7 months ago #56257

Hi there, nice to see another Falcon stretching it wings.
Bit of warning, don't want to be a spoilsport but it will fall apart if you run it (to hard)
The Falcon is a great looking car, runs nice as well but has some design flaws.
All the hinge points where the screw in pins are used are very prone to cracking due to age (plastic very brittle) and construction error.

As mentioned above you can still get the bathtub but not all the other parts that make it a falcon.
If you want to run a similar car the DT02 you spoke of would be an option, i think its even possible to fit the falcon body (could test this)

Last edit: by waterbok.

80's Falcon - That was my Dad's 4 years 7 months ago #56258

Like said waterbok, the falcon plastics are of a poor quality. Very very brittle and unfindable.
The dt02 is a nice option and efficient chassis.
Bearings, cvas and a repro body. And let's go

80's Falcon - That was my Dad's 4 years 7 months ago #56283

My very first hobby grade rc was a second hand Tamiya Falcon. I mowed lawns until I had enough to buy it from a guy in middle school haha.. didn't even have a radio.

I tinkered with that thing for months until I saved up enough to buy a radio set.

Definitely a classic. Definitely brittle. I would save that model as a display item for fear of any costly damage of hard-to-find parts.

Ironically, I have plans to make a modern day Falcon from existing Tamiya stock. Was busy playing around with my Grasshopper but now that's done so I'll start this next. Don't mind sharing some notes..
Attachments:

80's Falcon - That was my Dad's 4 years 7 months ago #56291

You missed ball bearings ;)

80's Falcon - That was my Dad's 4 years 7 months ago #56293

Indeed I did...

Some Tamiya-isms I choose to willingly ignore. I don't think plastic or metal bushings belong anywhere near a car that isn't purely a static model. But that's just me.

80's Falcon - That was my Dad's 4 years 7 months ago #56294

For a static model, no matter. :y:

80's Falcon - That was my Dad's 4 years 7 months ago #56296

My car will indeed be a runner, and I inherently install bearings on all my runners, hence why I left bearings (as well as motor/radio gear) out of my spec list.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.