TOPIC:

Lipo battery for Wild Willy M38? 4 years 1 month ago #58311

hi i just got my wild willy m38 going again
but now the battery has died could someone tell me what battery goes in this
it need to be a lipo battery thanks
shes my runner been with me for years still going

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro. Reason: inserting pic :)

Lipo battery for Wild Willy M38? 4 years 1 month ago #58315

I've split this off into it's own thread as that seemd a better idea than having in buried in the "What did you do today" thread ..

I don't think that what you want is going to be available off the shelf, assuming you want the right shape, weight (to) _and_ lipo.

TBH I'd question using Lipo batteries in it at all - the 30% or so power increase is going to mean a lot more wear & higher chances of breaking something through normal driving, let alone crashing it (and at higher speed). If you really want a faster Wild Willy, get a WW2 (M151) version as it's tougher, has much better parts supply, and non-one's going to care if you break it ;)

If you really do have to go lipo, you coul cut open an old plastic cased battery, add a small 2S soft pack, fill the space with weight & seal the case back up again. I wouldn't recommend a soft pack loose (or even one surrounded by extra weight) in the battery tray; and I'm not aware ofany hard cased pack that would fit.

I think your best bet is going to be to get a 7.2v NiMH pack, they're not that common , but off the top of my head component-shop & carson make them.

:)

Lipo battery for Wild Willy M38? 4 years 1 month ago #58319

I'm assuming you want a battery to sit on that high tray in the back. I use this Venom battery for my Montero which uses the same chassis. It fits easily and has plenty of power.
www.venompower....stem-15023

Lipo battery for Wild Willy M38? 4 years 1 month ago #58321

You can get 6v 5cell NiMh packs from Vapextech, fit perfectly and still enough power but not to break anything.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Lipo battery for Wild Willy M38? 4 years 1 month ago #58328

hi thanks very much for your help guys thanks
keep your wild willys on the road too
the other day i was driving my wild willy on the road when the battery died
and a car pulled up and there in the back was a little boy stuck to the back window watch my little car go around for 5 mins
when it stop i went over there to pick it up little tears come down he wanted to see more rc action
when the car took off u could just tell what he was going to say to his mum lol (i want one)

Lipo battery for Wild Willy M38? 4 years 1 month ago #58329

• mon
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
just use 7.2v NiMH its enough , ive got a short wheel base (recent refurbished) and anymore power the willy will be just doing wheelys all time lol also its better since i replaced speed controller for a esc
super champ, wild willy and ff01 clio willams

Lipo battery for Wild Willy M38? 4 years 1 month ago #58330

I remember getting 20-25 minutes or so out of my first battery (an unbranded 1200mAH Ni-Cd IIRC), but that was in a Grasshopper with a 380 motor, but that dropped to 12-15 with a 540, I would think a heavier car with bigger wheels, aggressively driven (not a criticism BTW, it's a Wild Willy, who wouldn't want to provoke wheelies?) would be much less. The type of charge mattered too, those figures were after a full 14 hour slow charge - a friend had an Acoms wind up fast charger, run times were less using that - and the times dropped as the battery got older ... and driving surface also had an impact.

Depending on the age/type/original capacity of you battery - and especially with a mechanical speed control - a 5 minute run time may not be that bad.

It may improve with repeated charges and use, a modern charger that can cope with "old" Ni-Cd packs, set at a modest charge rate will probably be better than an old wall wart - I'd suggest an IMAX B6 (if you can deal with its fussiness and need for a separate power supply ;) )

:)

Lipo battery for Wild Willy M38? 4 years 1 month ago #58394

yes Jonny Retro your right the best all round charger is the IMAX B6 theres a lot of copy out there make sure it 100% original people
i use the msc all the time if something goes wrong i can take it apart re clean put it together all good
if it wears out i just buy another one lol get a cheap one re solder it in
people say power from the battery from a lipo will damage the car
well the volt from the 7.2v NiMH and volt from the lipo its only 7.4v only 0.2 of a volt different how it that going to brake it
the only thing i can see it breaking is the car is going to run longer then 10min more ware and tear so to speak
Jonny Retro i saw the rebuild hump battery that u did thats great i only wish is that u sold a few on ebay
i dont know where to buy the stuff to make it i have to drive 4 hours for kfc to a hobby shop that sells tamiya cars is 8,9 hours drive
i wish someone made the outer case for the battery's too make it easy to build it too
thanks very much for your help its been great thanks to all that is lol

Lipo battery for Wild Willy M38? 4 years 1 month ago #58417

yes Jonny Retro your right the best all round charger is the IMAX B6 theres a lot of copy out there make sure it 100% original people
i use the msc all the time if something goes wrong i can take it apart re clean put it together all good
if it wears out i just buy another one lol get a cheap one re solder it in
people say power from the battery from a lipo will damage the car
well the volt from the 7.2v NiMH and volt from the lipo its only 7.4v only 0.2 of a volt different how it that going to brake it
the only thing i can see it breaking is the car is going to run longer then 10min more ware and tear so to speak
Jonny Retro i saw the rebuild hump battery that u did thats great i only wish is that u sold a few on ebay
i dont know where to buy the stuff to make it i have to drive 4 hours for kfc to a hobby shop that sells tamiya cars is 8,9 hours drive
i wish someone made the outer case for the battery's too make it easy to build it too
thanks very much for your help its been great thanks to all that is lol

I really can't recommend the use of an MSC, I know they're cheap, but I was glad to see the back of them in kits, having had too many short circuits, fires, runaways, body work melts & lost run time through wasting power as heat BITD. I don't feel any nostalgia for them at all.

I know we are _supposed_ to support our LHS, but from the mid 80's at least here, range, price and availability has been superior by mail order. I have an issue with paying higher prices in a physical shop - that extra few quid is definitely _not_ going to the people running the shop, it's going to line the pockets of the of building owner via exorbitant rent.

It's sad that some model shops have closed, but between grumpy staff, absent management not allowing their staff any authority, cliques where only their friends get discounts (or even attention), having my pronunciation of "Tamiya" corrected and then being refused service because I wouldn't agree with them - some shops really, really deserved to fail.

Of the two remaining decent LHS within an hours drive (2hr round trip), one is down to about 20% models (the rest being bikes, toys, diy & homeware), and the other IMO tries to cover too many bases (RC of all descriptions, plastic kits, Warhammer, trains, diecast everything etc etc) and therefore doesn't cover anything particularly well.

If you've got a day off & don't mind what you come back with (and painting it in the wrong colours) then they are fine, but neither are likely to be able to fulfill specific needs.

TL;DR - mail order :)

Lipo battery for Wild Willy M38? 4 years 1 month ago #58424

• mon
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
Recently bought a IMAX B6 v2 genuine as well , very handy for different types of battery's not just for RC , was amazed though how Tamiya batts still have a low resistance even after 30 odd years and charge well but last not ,the flat 6v ones were the best out of them, nostalgia eh
super champ, wild willy and ff01 clio willams

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.