Keyword

TOPIC:

Car cuts out + jittery servos 3 years 10 months ago #60024

Hi does the interference only show up when the motor is being run?
as for Rx antenna length for 27MHz, it should be 42" to be a complete fraction of the full-wave length.
but in general, as long as you have more wire length vertical than the horizontal wire length in the car you should be fine
I guess you're using the power feed to run the radio from the ESC or build in BCE in the receiver.....?
you could try running the receiver from its own battery to see if that solves the problem

hope this is of some help

Steve

Hi Steve

I’m not sure as it happens during operation so probably just when after a few mins use.

The wire is 49cm long, and have a 30cm tube and it comes out of top quite a bit.

The msc and esc powers the rx (acoms ar2/27) depending on setup, the acoms set did come with a battery holder, but didn’t think it needed it? Would it be okay or too much power from msc/esc and battery at the same time?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Car cuts out + jittery servos 3 years 10 months ago #60026

Keeping the RX antenna the length it is, the longer the "effective height" the better - that being where it comes out from the RX, to the height at the end of the antenna.

For example, if you have a 30cm high tube, but the wire comes out & flops down 10cm, the effective height is only 20cm. On the other hand, if you coil up any excess length either where it exots the RX, or where it enters the bottom of the tube, you have an effective height of 30cm with that same tube.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Car cuts out + jittery servos 3 years 10 months ago #60027

Keeping the RX antenna the length it is, the longer the "effective height" the better - that being where it comes out from the RX, to the height at the end of the antenna.

For example, if you have a 30cm high tube, but the wire comes out & flops down 10cm, the effective height is only 20cm. On the other hand, if you coil up any excess length either where it exots the RX, or where it enters the bottom of the tube, you have an effective height of 30cm with that same tube.
:)

That is good practical advice, thanks!

Car cuts out + jittery servos 3 years 9 months ago #60033

it's odd for interference to appear after a few minutes of operation? this can point a couple of things,
if it was signal related it would be there from the start....
sounds more like a power-related problem, could be a slump in battery voltage during operation, although strange....
could be a problem with the bec circuitry in the receiver? overheating due to load, but if you run and ESC you will effectively half the load by running only one servo....
I'm guessing the motor is suppressed?
i think i would run the receiver battery pack to electrically isolate the drive power from the receiver power supply, and see this that makes a difference, as this eliminates power rail noise......

Steve

Last edit: by Falcon3D.

Car cuts out + jittery servos 3 years 9 months ago #60036

it's odd for interference to appear after a few minutes of operation? this can point a couple of things,
if it was signal related it would be there from the start....
sounds more like a power-related problem, could be a slump in battery voltage during operation, although strange....
could be a problem with the bec circuitry in the receiver? overheating due to load, but if you run and ESC you will effectively half the load by running only one servo....
I'm guessing the motor is suppressed?
i think i would run the receiver battery pack to electrically isolate the drive power from the receiver power supply, and see this that makes a difference, as this eliminates power rail noise......

Steve

Yeah, it cutting out after a few mins has had me stumped for a few years (between using rc)

Interestingly I have just had a good 45 minute run with the car, only dipped signal once for a second and had a good 40 meter range (maybe more if brave) for a 27mhz this was good!

Okay so what I did;

Used mtroniks auto sport 20 esc with 1 servo
Made sure all wiring was very neat and separated
Antenna was as high as plastic ant tube, spooled nicely in car.
The key change is I used the original 380 can instead of the hpi Saturn 540 27t.

Could the hpi motor have caused original problems?

Can’t test yet as charging battery, having to much fun to swap em!! 😁

Car cuts out + jittery servos 3 years 9 months ago #60038

Have you got the or 2 lens capacitors on the motor? Try a classic mabuchi silvercan 540.
Motors make a lot of noise and interferences.

Car cuts out + jittery servos 3 years 9 months ago #60039

Have you got the or 2 lens capacitors on the motor? Try a classic mabuchi silvercan 540.
Motors make a lot of noise and interferences.

Hi again stingray!

I haven’t had the motor open as yet, from a google I can see it is serviceable so may have a look into repairing. It’s about 10 years old but to be honest my problem started with this almost straight away, I have the correct 18t pinion. Only had about 10 hours use tops.

Is it likely this has failed?

Now about the Mabuchi motors.....

I have been looking at these and see there is probably 3 options, could you explain the main differences please?

Torque tuned - kind of self explanatory
Grey end ??
Black end??

I do not race just a hobby!

Thank you 👍

Car cuts out + jittery servos 3 years 9 months ago #60041

The capacitors are welded between -and cage and + and cage. They are noise filters.
Id you want a classic 540 take tbe classic mabuchi 540 included in most of the kits.
It is largely enough for a gh2. No need sport tuned or torque tuned.

Car cuts out + jittery servos 3 years 9 months ago #60042

A classic mabuchi silvercan rs540 sh

Car cuts out + jittery servos 3 years 9 months ago #60049

sounds like your heading in the right direction.... :y: :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.