Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Motors 2 years 11 months ago #65647

Ok, question time once again. 

I'm after replacement motors for my extra chassis builds and possibly for my runners.  Looks like I will need several so looking for something not too expensive and maybe a little more lively than the standard silver cans. Haven't a clue what the "T" value means if someone would elaborate that would be great. 

Also ESC's. I know the HW1060 is good, are there any more that are recommended. 

Already looking at Dunbo RC RX TX but thinking about a TX that I can bind more than 1 RX to it.  Does anyone use this sort of setup? 

Lee
Regards

Lee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Motors 2 years 11 months ago #65649

The cheapest motor to replace the silvercan is a sport tuned. Timing is a little different and it works well. You can order some chinese "big motors to on ebay. I bought a 17x2 for less than 20€ and I am very happy with it. 
for the radio set, I use 1 tx and 2 rx in my tamtechgears. And 3 crystals (1tx and 2 rx). 
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Motors 2 years 11 months ago #65656

Tamiya Sport Tuned has got more expensive & cheaper looking, but I think it's still the best value, bearing in mind you don't have to change the kit ESC or gearing & it won't hammer you batteries too badly, around a 30% increase in power/speed I guess.

T = ...

On a pinion, number of gear teeth.

On a brushed motor, number of turns the wire is wrapped around each pole on the motor. Lower number = more speed/power & greater battery drain. Kit silvercan is 27T, Tamiya Sport Tuned is 23T (or equivalent), 17T is faster, 13 more so & so on. That's for good motors, cheap/poor ones can perform much worse than stock.
More turns = less speed, e.g. you might put a 55T in a scaler to lose the buggy speed, or 80T in a crawler.

On a brushless motor, anything ending in .5 is a 540 size rotor in a 540 size case, so more torque than a brushless motor ending in a whole number (380 size rotor in a 540 sized can). Not directly equivalent to a brushed motor, e.g. a 13.5T brushless has te power of something like a 21T brushed. Also rated in Kv to further confuse things, e.g. a 5.5T brushless motor might be 6000Kv, x a nominal 7.2v supply = 43,200rpm.

"T" on an ESC = lowest number of turn motor it can theoretically drive, e.g. a 20T ESC would be safe for a 27T kit motor, and 23T or 21T hopup motors, but not a 19 or 17.

Multiple TXs make sense for me, a cheap or middling one set up for each runner rather than one expensive one. I'm probably way past the point at which it would make economic sense to have one TX per multiple of vehicle, but I'm likely to break, lose or forget it.

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, the11th, jord001

Motors 2 years 11 months ago #65660

Thanks for the explanation Jonny, I knew the turns were the amount of wire turns on the motor but I didn't know what the turns equated to in relation to performance. Its starting to make a bit more sense to me now, although it seems a bit back to front that the less turns the faster it is. Doesn't matter anyway, I am more educated on this now. Just had a look at my Yokomo Twister S motor and from what info I can find its a 17T motor which would explain why it made my Lunchy a bit faster but drained the battery in 5 mins.  Sport tuned looks good. I will check around for the best prices. Will get them 1 at a time for the moment. Not going brushless just yet but its deffo an option I will use in the future.  I think for the TX, the cost of the dumborc setups are mega cheap so I may go down that option although I was trying to avoid the multiple transmitters, I got 5 of the old 27mhz ones already lol Fortunately I think I may only need 5 sets for the new builds. I'm keeping the original msc and electrics in the shelf cars so I can still run them on occasions.  Concentrating on getting everything i have built now. 

Thanks again for the info guys. much appreciated help

Lee
Regards

Lee

Motors 2 years 11 months ago #65670

I quite like the CR-Tuned, it is a 35T motor but has the speed of a silvercan. It's pricey though (but currently on sale at RcMart)...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Re:Motors 2 years 11 months ago #65709

The sport tuned is the only upgrade motor option on all my tamiya cars. If you hit them up on 2s they are uncontrollable in a lunchie. Battery life is also basically the same as a silver can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motors 2 years 11 months ago #65721

Thanks Hugo, Its an option I will take as I build the cars. I have one on order already along with a Hobbywing 1060 esc.  I don't think I will be dropping a 2s in any of the lunchboxes but thanks for the warning, I'd love to see how they go with one fitted though just out of interest :) 

Lee
Regards

Lee

Motors 2 years 11 months ago #65722

I run only 2s in my Lunchbox and it has a Technigold motor in it.
No problems handling that at all.

Motors 2 years 11 months ago #65726

You make wheelings on 150m Richard... :D
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Motors 2 years 11 months ago #65727

On my clod I have 2 ayk magnum motors with the original msc and abc m&y in my lunch and midnight.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.