Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Overheating esc and motor 2 years 9 months ago #67141

Hi, finally rebuilt my rere tamiya  hotshot. On the first run both the esc and motor got hot to the point where I couldn’t keep my finger on it for more than a second. I’m running a sports tuned motor with a teu-105bk esc, 15t pinion, the stock spur gear (56 teeth), stock tires and 3600mh batteries. Should I worry about the heat or is the setup fine. 

ps both motor and esc cooled down pretty fast (5mins) and they are cold again.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Aras.

Overheating esc and motor 2 years 9 months ago #67144

IDK what your tolerance for heat is, but if the ESC didn't "thermal" (temporarily shut itself down due to heat to protect itself) you're probably ok - but three seconds is usually considered the appropriate test (around 70 degrees C).

Driving style, location & surface will also have a big effect on heat - on & off the throttle on a small grassed back yard will put much more strain on the electrics than say a wider open space on a looser surface.  

You could consider lower gearing (more acceleration, less top speed), I'd also check that nothing is binding (pinion gear spacing, driveshafts/bearing etc). You could buy a cheap IR thermometer if you are concerned.

TBH I used to use excessively handwound motors with tall gearing & extra cells in inappropriate cars on stock MSCs BITD, I considered mild bluing of parts as completely normal, & anything less than a fire was fine :D ;)  
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001

Overheating esc and motor 2 years 9 months ago #67165

Yeah thanks! Esc didn’t shut off so I hope I’m fine

Overheating esc and motor 2 years 9 months ago #67172

How is the gearmesh?

Vehicle should be easy to move back and forwards with your hand.
Any binding or tightness will hurt the drivetrain and your esc.

Overheating esc and motor 2 years 9 months ago #67178

Gears move pretty smooth. I have ball bearings as well. I can push it and it will keep rolling.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.