Keyword

TOPIC:

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 10 years 3 months ago #26940

I read about it in the guide (The ARC Model), but I have never seen one, or a picture of one, but I have one of these...

Thanks dreadly - I had one of those on my first car (a Grasshopper, very shortly after it was released) back in the day, I remember having to use the 4x AA battery pack for quite a long time before I got a BEC unit - the early ones were a small PCB fixed to the back of the car side on/off switch :blink:

Someone did have a ARC RX unit here a while back, there was probably some good reason why a photo of it didn't make it to this thread , but I forget :whistle:

Your ARC unit is probably (based on a most unscientific method, being my recollection of how many I've seen over the last few years) the rarest of the mass market, 27mhz 2-channel Acoms RXs ... which makes it somewhat interesting to an Acoms Anorak, if not particularly valuable.

In fact, probably the only one (given the above qualifiers) that's rarer is the ARD-227, which IIRC was a prototype which appeared in some Tamiya information for the Fox ... I'll make a note of that in the 1st post too.

:)

i have one of those receivers too, it came in my wild one, its not in the best condition, but i think it still works :), the aerial and motor/servo plugs are busted, not to hard to replace though

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 10 years 3 months ago #26966

Good post!! :y:

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 10 years 3 months ago #27068

I found these remotes but I have no info on they... I think that the KO is older than me :whistle:

Attachments:

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 10 years 3 months ago #27069

I found these remotes but I have no info on they... I think that the KO is older than me :whistle:

is an RC station before the time of Christ

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 10 years 3 months ago #27070

:laugh: heavier than a sherman ;)

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 10 years 1 month ago #27693

This is a tiny bit spooky - I've finally got round t to dismantling my Falcon ... everything about the car suggests the provenance is good - all the light wear & damage, level of skill evidenced by the construction, still having the box etc etc, all suggest a lightly used 1 or 2 owner car, and the radio fits in with that, and looks like it must have been bought & installed as a set at the same time ... apart from the fact it can't possibly have been - or can it? TX is a Malaysian made AP-27 Mk V, one servo is a Hong Kong AS-7, the other is a Japanese AS-11, it has an unbranded (but possibly Acoms, it's not Tamiya anyway) external/switch mounted BEC, and a previously undiscovered, Japanese AR-227F... it's just like the AR-22FE, just without BEC :huh:

Attachments:

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 10 years 1 month ago #27694

Could it be that it was originally fitted with something a little more expensive and they have switched some stuff out for sale?

Even now, I swap out the stock steering servo to something with metal gears and ball-bearings and high-torque on my newer, faster cars.

This is a tiny bit spooky - I've finally got round t to dismantling my Falcon ... everything about the car suggests the provenance is good - all the light wear & damage, level of skill evidenced by the construction, still having the box etc etc, all suggest a lightly used 1 or 2 owner car, and the radio fits in with that, and looks like it must have been bought & installed as a set at the same time ... apart from the fact it can't possibly have been - or can it? TX is a Malaysian made AP-27 Mk V, one servo is a Hong Kong AS-7, the other is a Japanese AS-11, it has an unbranded (but possibly Acoms, it's not Tamiya anyway) external/switch mounted BEC, and a previously undiscovered, Japanese AR-227F... it's just like the AR-22FE, just without BEC :huh:

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 10 years 1 month ago #27698

...switched some stuff out for sale?...

It's definitely a possibility, and TBH it seems more likely that the AS-11 servo is a later swap, rather than Acoms letting such a Frankenstein set go out the door ;)

The RX though, that's still odd:

ARA-227 - c.1978, large socket gaps & "wrong" pinout to suit earliest servos (No BEC)
ARB-227 - c. 1981, a styling update for the mk.II Techniplus set (no BEC)
ARC-227 - c. 1984, smaller case & conventional servo pinout, but on flying leads (No BEC)
ARD-227 - c. 1985, prototype only? As ARC, but with big BEC logo
ARE-227 - c. 1986, as ARC but with BEC, still has flying servo plugs - production version of ARD?
AR-227F - c. 1989? as AR-227FE but without BEC
AR-227FE - c.1989, case similar size as ARC/ARD/ARE but with onboard servo pins, BEC
AR-201 - c. 1994, slight styling update to AR-227FE, BEC
AR-2/27/AR-2/40 - c. 2006 on, much smaller than AR-227FE / AR-201, BEC
GR-24 - c. 2010 on, 2.4GHz, no BEC (swizz!)

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 10 years 1 month ago #27701

:laugh: I bought the same techniplus with my madcap in 72mhz. For me it is one of the best

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 10 years 1 month ago #27719

Edited OP to include white geared AS-7 servo, corrected Mk.v TX part number (AP-27, not AP227) & include AR-227F RX - I've put that under both "mk.IV" and Mk.V sets, the part number might imply the former?

As always, more info wanted - especially anything on the "was the Technidrive/"mk.IV" set a premium product or a step on the way" debate, or proof of the ARD-227 (BEC prototype?) RX ... without those I don't think this thread is ready to be locked off & the info published as a definitive article.

I'm also interested if anyone has got a better idea re the "comfortable for small hands" figure - I'd thought a good measure was from the tip of the stick to the back of the case, but I've since found some TXs with a "long" distance to be ok, and some with a "short" one to not be ... I'm inclined to delete those references in the OP as, TBH, they're useless.

:)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.