Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Running in your electro motor under water 12 years 3 weeks ago #8016

hmmmmm i think i will give this method a miss.
probably blow something up knowing my luck :silly:

Neh, it'll be alright. You can use a couple of normal batteries for it, like in the thread on Rcuniverse. :y:
Just put the plus on the plus and the negative accordingly. Otherwise you'll run it in backwards. :lol:
Seriously... demineralized water should be the best choice but distilled will also do. Best not to use tap water.
And take some time for it with the blow dryer...

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Running in your electro motor under water 12 years 3 weeks ago #8017

And take some time for it with the blow dryer...

Just don't let it get too hot inside the motor... ;)

Re: Running in your electro motor under water 12 years 3 weeks ago #8026

We always used to run motors in under water, more because it wears the brushes quickly than anything to do with dust though.
Agemax - low voltage DC is fine with water, won't damage anything & no shocks etc. perfectly safe.
Yes, use low capacity 1-shot shop-bought batteries, enough voltage to get the motor to spin (1 or 2 AAs is usually enough). The more voltage or current you use, the more chance there is of arcing/sparking, which will pit the brushes & make the exercise pointless. Don't do it hooked up to an ESC, the ESC will get upset about the reduced resistance caused by the contaminated water.
Yes, dry the motor out after you're done, but this is more about reducing mess or rust problems than anything electrical - who's bothered about water when charging through puddles or running in the rain?.
Water type - Demin/Deionised water vs tap water - THEORETICALLY, pure water won't have any minerals or grit in it that could damage the brushes..... again, consider what could find its way into the motor when playing toy car, then decide whether or not you'd rather use cheaper tap water.
Time - do it for a minute at a time & check the brushes between dunkings - they wear much quicker in water than in air & how much more depends on how soft YOUR brushes are. Time is usually in minutes, usually under 5.
Personally, I don't bother doing this any more as it would appear that even with the posh expensive race motors (& I mean new just out of the packet), the commutator is out-of-round/concentricity enough to be slowing you down far more than not-run-in brushes ever will. Biggest question is, are you playing or racing? - if you're playing, don't bother, if you're racing, get a comm lathe & start by sorting the comm before worrying about the shape of your brushes

Re: Running in your electro motor under water 12 years 3 weeks ago #8027

Oh, nearly forgot - make sure the motor bearings are well oiled before & after any dunking in water - bronze bearings are porous (To hold oil) & if they're dry when you dunk the motor, they'll suck up water, preventing future lubrication. This causes excessive shaft wear & rusting

Re: Running in your electro motor under water 12 years 3 weeks ago #8030

Eddrick i only use it for fun, not racing. i cant control it well enough to race it. we have a local Rc racing club and i have been down to watch them.
i think there are kids about 10 years old that would beat me easily haha
thanks for the info anyway. im going to just run it in as best i can dry, i am sure it will be ok

Re: Running in your electro motor under water 12 years 3 weeks ago #8035

Yes, I USED to race & it was easy at the time, but I've watched it recently & there's NO WAY my brain could keep up nowadays! Playing's loads more fun anyway!

Re: Running in your electro motor under water 2 years 8 months ago #67517

Hello,

I'm currently in need of running in an brushed motor, namely a RCK Flat Six 3.6 as run in RCK Kleinserie races (Porsche Challenge, formerly known as GT2).

Does anyone of you have experience with running in such a motor? And if so, how and how long did you run it?

Thank you!

Heiko

PS: Sorry for reviving this old thread..:-D

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.