Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Obtaining a new transmitter for Avante 2001 6 years 3 months ago #47454

Hello,

First maybe is to inform that I am completely newbie to this. So I will not know many (or most) of the concepts. Therfore I would really appreciate some references for further reading in case your explanations are complex for a beginner.

I recently recovered my old friend the Tamiya Avante 2001 but I have no transmitter anymore. After a bit of reading I realized that the Avante 2001 uses 27Mhz frequency and that the new models use 2.4 GHz which seems to be much better to avoid interferences and also allows for further range. The crystall installed behind the batteries is labeled with R26.995Mhz1Band.

My questions are:

- Which transmitter can I buy which is directly compatible with my Tamiya Avante 2001 without any further change? Recommendations for products are welcome.

- If I would like to move to the 2.4GHz band with this model, would it be possible? How could I do it?

- I also know that the Avante 2001 is a QD car. Is this something I have to take into account with respect to the transmitter I acquire?

I found this related thread but I couldn't figure out the answers there.

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Raulnuto.

Obtaining a new transmitter for Avante 2001 6 years 3 months ago #47455

Welcome on board.
Firstly, QD (quick drive) is the toy version. More like nikko or tyco.
For the transmitter you need, you can find a tamiya QD one on ebay. Or take a standard one in 27mhz with a 26.995mhz cristal.

Obtaining a new transmitter for Avante 2001 6 years 3 months ago #47468

I can see why the old thread was no help - lots of ideas, but the OP didn't try any of them (or at least didn't post their results) ...

It looks as though your car is an "early" one (?) with a separate tuning crystal - the theory seems to be that any 2-channel, 27mhz AM transmitter (TX) ought to do the job, with the correct "band 1" (brown) crystal.

If you look at tamiyabase.com/...ution.html I would avoid the Mk.1 & Mk.2 Acoms TX due to reliabiilty & ese of use, the mk.3 is better but I would hold out for a "mk.4" or later (anywhere up to mk.8) due to having servo reverse switches. Various models of the Futaba "Attack" TX ("Attack", "Attack R", "Attack SR" and "Attack II" come to mind),, or Hitec "Ranger" would also meet your needs - and some others too.

Switching to 2.4ghz opens up several cans of worms - you would need a Transmitter/Reciever combo, a steering servo, an Electronic Speed Control (ESC), some sort of drive battery (rather than AA size cells), a suitable charger, and the wherewithal to make chassis modifications to make it all fit and work correctly... not saying you can't do it by any means - but I suspect from where you are now, the learning curve is too steep & you might drop out. I suggest the simple TX replacement, and lots of reading up.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Obtaining a new transmitter for Avante 2001 3 years 2 weeks ago #65431

First of all thanks a lot for the answers @Jonny Retro and @stingray-63. I wanted to answer back with a success message but unfortunately finding a second hand Quick Drive transmitter is really complicated for me, at least here in Germany... Over these years I didn't yet manage to get one!

Actually, I think I would actually prefer to buy a new one, to have some short of guarantee that it will be working.

I am wondering if I should buy this Tamiya EXPEC SP Sender TTU-03 27MHz AM and a couple of Quarz crystals compatible with the Sender . Would that work to bring back to life my old toy, I mean is that compatible with the QD Quick Drive? The crystals are anyway not available, would any pair in the same form and frequency be compatible, for example these ones ?

Obtaining a new transmitter for Avante 2001 3 years 2 weeks ago #65432

I bought a set of crystals for XMODS 1/28. They are cheap and 5 pairs. They work on all my classic 26; 27 mhz radio sets. ( I have them on my tamtech gears. ) . Very fun to run 2 rc with 1 transmitter in the same time. :D

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.