Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Helicoils. 5 years 2 weeks ago #54548

Got the new insert tool delivered early this morning.
That's what I call service.
Tested and it works, but I think the hand insert tool from the other kit will be more reliable.

Think part of the issue is the coil bending upwards
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by waterbok.

Helicoils. 5 years 2 weeks ago #54551

Well the coil worked great, but time took it's toll
Attachments:

Last edit: by waterbok.

Helicoils. 5 years 2 weeks ago #54558

Well that's unfortunate, but it doesn't look like a fresh break - if it was I'd expect at least some of the broken surfaces to be shiny, like the new thread. I'm thinking either existing cracks, possibly previously superglued up ... or the dreaded Zinkpest :S

Clean up & use a "metal" 2-part epoxy, or replace?

Helicoils. 5 years 2 weeks ago #54559

Replace. already in contact with somebody who may have one.
Yeah Zinkpest, think it already got knackered in a crash and reattaching gave it the rest.

Helicoils. 4 years 11 months ago #54901

Still not managed to buy a helicoil tool kit.

But today I was determed that I should make it work with the tools I've got.

First I tried my idea on a piece of wood.
My first test failed, but the next one was success :y:

First drilled the hole to wanted depth with a 3.2mm drill bit.

As stated I do not have the thread tool, but I found out a M4 bolt can be used to make the threads.
I fitted a nut and washers to my wanted depth this time too.

For the insert tool I simply made a small slot in the M3 bolt for the helicoil end to sit in.

And finally when the helicoil was inserted, I used a broken screwdriver that fitted perfectly to knock the helicoil end off.
Worked like a charm!
[

My chassis repaired with helicoils in those bad holes :)

So for now I don't need the M3 helicoild tool kit, but I will buy at later stage..

I just need to find my energy pot so I can be able to do something again..
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok, oldwilly, stingray-63

Last edit: by caprinut.

Helicoils. 4 years 11 months ago #54905

oh man thats genius, to think i spend money on it. :blink: :woohoo:

I just got a delivery from china with 4 different size M3 coils, testet, good quality and fit rapid tool better than the german manufacturer. originals
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Helicoils. 4 years 11 months ago #54906

Hello all, its been to long.....
Well thanks for the idea,
I have been using heli-coil type thread inserts for years in my work, I use to install them in the field to repair damaged threads on aircraft exhausts, then interestingly at an aerospace company I worked at all of the threaded holes in any part they made that was aluminum got a thread insert from new as it makes for a stronger more wear resistant thread area than the aluminum does, (these were hydraulic actuators and manifolds )
I use them quite regularly now repairing stripped holes in magnesium parts but to be honest I have never thought about using them in plastics! Great idea, makes me think about other applications in plastics such as the always breaking suspension arms on certain cars such as the celica Grb / 959. I could drill, tap and install a thread insert rather than just forcing the screw to make the thread and putting internal stresses in the plastic....hmmmmm...very good indeed
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Helicoils. 4 years 11 months ago #54912

Nice work, Richard!
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.