Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Paint removal 4 years 5 months ago #57107

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Can anyone recommend a good product and method to remove old paint & spray from a vintage lexan body? A Porsche 959 shell to be specific.
I've been doing lots of research and there are so many different ideas from Olive oil to WD40. And the issue of fogging the Lexan also concerns me.
Is there a tried & tested method?

Many thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Paint removal 4 years 5 months ago #57108

Hey Sam, It will depend on the type of paint that was used. Tamiya painter remover has been used to good result by a few friends of mine, I have used Nitro fuel also. Testing in small discrete spots is a good idea.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Sam

Paint removal 4 years 5 months ago #57110

I tried an already tested method on my 205 t16 for light lenses place.
The nail varnish remover WITHOUT aceton.
The Lidl version. Efficient and no cloud on the lexan.

Paint removal 4 years 5 months ago #57116

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Thank you Andy & Stingray.

Andy, I'm not sure what was actually used on the body but I'm reasonably confident it isnt spray paint. It looks to be some type of brush paint, like an airfix or humbro product. It really is a terrible effort. When held up to the light, there are watered down patches all over the blue and the white resembles lumpy tipex. However, the actual shell itself is in great condition, which appears to be quite rare for an original 959 body from what I understand. I'd really love to restore it, but I'm not confident in having the sufficient skills to do so at the moment. I may have to put it on the back burner for a little while and practice on something less valuable, so to speak.

Stingray, thank you for the recommendation. I have an old Boomerang body that I'm going to practice on. I'll definitely use your method.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Paint removal 4 years 5 months ago #57121

...I'm not sure what was actually used on the body but I'm reasonably confident it isnt spray paint. It looks to be some type of brush paint, like an airfix or humbro product. It really is a terrible effort. When held up to the light, there are watered down patches all over the blue and the white resembles lumpy tipex...

What you're describing there sounds exactly like Tamiya's now defunct "PC" line of polycarbonate paints, which came in 23ml jars - BITD that was about all the choice you had in paints to use on Polycarbonate shells. You can get really good results by thinning it & airbrushing in multiple thin coats, but who had an airbrush as a kid? It usually got slapped on with no prep in multple thick coats to try and get even coverage ...

The good news is, it's probably not very well adhered & should come off nicely.

+1 on stingray's suggestion - it's more up to date & far less risky than what I've tried (albeit pretty succesfully).

:)

Paint removal 4 years 5 months ago #57140

Hola prueba con dot 4 liquido de frenos.
The following user(s) Liked this: AndreuBCN

Paint removal 4 years 5 months ago #57141

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Thank you Jonny. I'm going to practice on an old Boomerang shell and see how it goes.

Paint removal 4 years 5 months ago #57143

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Stingray, I apologise for labouring on this topic of paint removal but I was just wondering if you'd mind helping me clarify a technical question I have.

When using the varnish remover, should I apply a coat that covers all the paint and leave it to penetrate for a few hours, or should I use a little at a time on small areas and remove immediately?

Thanks again.

Paint removal 4 years 5 months ago #57144

Stingray, I apologise for labouring on this topic of paint removal but I was just wondering if you'd mind helping me clarify a technical question I have.

When using the varnish remover, should I apply a coat that covers all the paint and leave it to penetrate for a few hours, or should I use a little at a time on small areas and remove immediately?

Thanks again.

The best is using demake up pads directly on small areas. For my small areas (front light lenses on a 1/12 body) I used ear coton sticks and toothpics for lining.
And after 10days no cloud.

Paint removal 4 years 5 months ago #57145

For info, the body is an original kyosho 1/12 205 t16 painted with pc tamiya paint and painted 10 15 years ago.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.