Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Repair of Vintage Toyota Hilux 4x4 3 years 8 months ago #61343

Hello all
I just found my fathers original vintage 4x4 Hilux. I remembered that it pretty much broke on his first ride ever (don't ask me how that could happen). I would really like to help him repair his vehicle so he can finally enjoy it before it is too late!
I tested it a bit and the motors, speed control and gearbox works flawlessly. I will try the control and the receiver and the servos later on, but those are parts that I can easily replace. Now the bigger issue is that the parts that broke are both front knuckle arms. I think the Tamiya number is 5415024. I think they are not produced anymore and replacements are almost impossible to get.
Now my question is if there is either a similar replacement part for this or I would also be willing to replace what is needed (eg. the whole front axle) in order to get it back on the road (terrain actually).
Any help would be really great!
Best Regards,
Roman
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Repair of Vintage Toyota Hilux 4x4 3 years 8 months ago #61344

Welcome on board :)

I don't really know anything about the vintage 3-speed trucks, but there are people on here that do :y:

I think there are 3 possibilities - finding vintage parts on ebay, maybe the re-release parts will fit, or there are aftermarket parts (or a whole axle) that will fit. someone will be along with specifics I'm sure.

:)

Repair of Vintage Toyota Hilux 4x4 3 years 8 months ago #61347

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Hi Roman,
Nice idea to fix this up for your dad.
You are correct that they don’t make the parts for these anymore. So don’t buy anything new which would be for the Bruiser or Mountaineer.

You will need to keep an eye on eBay or you could post a wanted message on the site.

If you have to buy a complete front axle expect to pay something in the region of £150. The front knuckles and the hubs attached them are probably one of the more expensive parts for these cars.

On Facebook there are several Tamiya groups. You could try them. In my experience prices tend to be a bit lower.
Possibly due to the community nature.

Just be patient, the parts are out there.

Welcome to the site.
Al
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Repair of Vintage Toyota Hilux 4x4 3 years 8 months ago #61355

Welcome Roman. I am not sure but I think that the front axle is the same as the blazing blazer. You can sourcing them on ebay.

Repair of Vintage Toyota Hilux 4x4 3 years 8 months ago #61356

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
www.ebay.co.uk/...SwnRRfFKVZ

Hi Roman, spotted these, a US sale so post is usually a bit steep.
But could be worth watching.

Repair of Vintage Toyota Hilux 4x4 3 years 8 months ago #61357

Hey all
Many thanks for the hints! I will keep an eye on auctions. I also found some for 250$ for that part, that is pretty insane... But if they break again, I would have the same problem. So I would prefer a way to replace parts as needed with something new so it would be a bit more futureproof. Me and my dad are pretty experienced with electronics or small electrionics (just not directly RC yet), and I am also quite a bit into tinkering (especially with sensors, esp, raspi and also 3d printing), so I'm sure we could find ways to fit something that does not fit 100%, we just don't have the budget to try many different things.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.