Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Body filler recos (repro 959 body) 3 years 8 months ago #61567

Just got a repro 959 shell from Kamtech (TBG bodies weren’t available at the time) and I’m a bit underwhelmed. It is way less detailed than the original 959 body. It’s missing the whole front section that curves underneath, the door handles, gas cap, and back window are barely formed as well.

Oh well I’m going to make the best of it as it took a long time to arrive and i don’t have the patience to wait for another TBG body.

My question is about the spoiler wing. It is not screw on like the original, and doesn’t fit nearly as well as the original either. So how do I attach this? Some kind of glue or epoxy? Even when glued in place there would be large divots where the spoiler meets the body - is there some sort of sandable filler that can be used to fill the cracks, sanded smooth and then be painted?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro. Reason: inserting pics :)

Body filler recos (repro 959 body) 3 years 8 months ago #61568

TBH I think your proposed fix may end up looking worse than if you did nothing ... less is more & I think a less intrusive approach might work better. However, if you really want to go that route I've seen Shoe Goo recommended a lot (where it's available) on polycarbonate bodies, my choice would eb something like Araldite Klear epoxy.

I'd suggest there's a lot more fettling you could do to that wing - remembering that any scratches to the underside of it are going to be filled in by paint anyway. if you thin the underside of the ends, and round the corners I think with some care you could get a lot closer fit.

As for holding the wing on, I'd be thinking about drilling the centre of both of the wing support towers, and making corresponding holes in the wing & using countersunk screws to get (nearly) flat. I haven't had a 959 so it's probably smaller than I'm imagining, but I would have thought M3 (or imperial equivalent) screws would work, with tubular nuts underneath.

For the ends, IIRC there'sa decal running over the join, I'd rely on that & only afterwards thik about a fillet of glue/epoxy underneath.

:)

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Body filler recos (repro 959 body) 3 years 8 months ago #61571

Great suggestions Johnny, thanks. The stripe decal does cover this so that will hide many sins, but the transition from the body to the wing should be as flat as possible to avoid a big lump in the decal. I agree that the wing needs more shaping at the joints, I will try to tweak that to get it as flat as possible where the transition happens.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.