Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Found my old Tamiya 58210 Subaru in the attic 1 year 3 months ago #73621

Hello,
So we're preparing to do some renovations in the house and while cleaning up the attic, I stumbled upon my Tamiya Subaru 58210 TA03F Belt Drive 4WD. I still have all the parts. It was a bit dirty so I proceeded to take it apart. Before that, I figured I would search for the instructions which I no longer had and found them on here.

Now except for the belly of the car which is a bit scratched up from driving it around over 20 years ago, everything is pretty much intact except for some of the plastic gears which are a bit worn out. Same for the metallic pinion gear of the motor, too dented for reuse (MB7 in the instructions). Also the Subaru's body clearly shows I wasn't really doing that good of a paint job with rattle cans. It's chipped and just ugly.

I'm not really into the RC hobby, just loved the Subaru when I was a kid, but I'd enjoy restoring it. This means I have no experience really.

Instructions are here: tamiyabase.com/...atid=2&m=0

I'd need some help though for a couple things:

1. What are compatible gears that I could use to swap the ones I have? Could someone take a look at the instructions and point me to replacement parts that would work?
2. Any tips on removing the paint of a plastic shell for repaint? Or better to scrap it and get something new?
3. What type of wheels would be compatible? I painted mine silver and the job is kind of meh...

Anyway, appreciate the eventual help, sorry to be a noob.

Thanks and have a great week-end

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by h311m4n.

Found my old Tamiya 58210 Subaru in the attic 1 year 3 months ago #73623

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Post up some pics, it will help people give you the right advice.
Cheers.

Found my old Tamiya 58210 Subaru in the attic 1 year 3 months ago #73629

Hi there.

The motor pinion is 0.6 module 14t (partnumber is 53064 stated under the part).
Orginal is hard to come by, but 0.6mod 14t from other brands is not. One is Robinson Racing #1114
Another one is Fastrax FASTM6-14 wheelspinmodels.../i/316863/

Which of the gears is worn, pulleys for the belt or the gearbox gears?
Gearbox gears is #50718 www.ebay.com/it...R_CBwpC2YQ
Pulleys #50702 www.ebay.com/it...4634472268

As for the body the old paint can be removed.
Tamiya do have a Polycarbonate paint remover #87183
Carson also got one called Paint Killer.
Both takes elbove grease to remove. There is several videos on Youtube that shows how it can be done.
I do not recomend nitro fuel or brake fluid as those can make the body foggy and brittle.
MCI Racing is making repro decals if needed.

Most parts can be found using Google and type Tamiya ......... partnumber. I usually click on the picture tab and then go through the list if there is any.
Some parts can be hard to come by.

Good luck!
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Last edit: by caprinut.

Found my old Tamiya 58210 Subaru in the attic 1 year 3 months ago #73637

Welcome on board. Like said Al , we love picts here. For your wheeles, every basic tamiya ones ( except mchassis ones) are compatible. 1/10th rallye wheeles. And for your body, you can use glanzer. Put your body and your rims in a bath of glanzerfor several hours and it should help to remove the paint. The sub was my first ta03 and I love it. 
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.