Keyword

TOPIC:

Kyosho hi rider 3 years 10 months ago #59605

Chrome didn't cut with me... I prefer reddish/black on exhausts, silver on block and finally dark grey shading under manifold. Also painted black the windows.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Kyosho hi rider 3 years 10 months ago #59606

Supercharged engines in real Monster trucks back in the mid 80's were usual full chrome. And that's what Kyosho captured on the model, when they first released it in 1989.
Some people like to paint them. And I remember it took me serious elbow grease to remove the enamel that some guy in Switzerland thought was fine for it. Painting the belt is mandatory though.
Had I have the chance to have a nice & fine chromed engine like the one in your Corvette I'd keep it as it is, but it's your car and you can paint it the way you like it :)

Here's some example (Fred Shafer's 1986 BEAR FOOT):

And here's a picture of my orig. High Rider Corvette:

Kyosho hi rider 3 years 10 months ago #59607

The chrome on mine came flaked on many places, so was paint to aluminium looks or flaked... Btw yours doesn't look worse than mine, so my work must be good.

Last edit: by Dash_Crash.

Kyosho hi rider 3 years 10 months ago #59608

Haha. My Corvette was a total disaster when I bought it. The tires all shot (I fixed them, there is no possible way to find replacements for them, since they're unique dia. and Kyosho stopped making them thirty years ago), also there were white paint dot everywhere on the chassis and tires, you just can't imagine the time and work it took me to get it clean alone! Then I got the body from someone in Switzerland who mounted it over one of the ugly late 80's shot type buggies, hence the extra cut in the rear arches... It was truly terrible. BUT the thing had the engine, and I thought I could fix most the issues to reasonable condition. I should have kept pictures of the things when I got them LOL. :laugh:

We took these pictures last year when I took the Corvette out to celebrate its 30th anniversary!

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Kyosho hi rider 3 years 10 months ago #59631

Anyways I still need an stick battery, because with a 1400 one it sure won't last a lot... (Like 5 minutes) with poxy 540 motor...

Kyosho hi rider 3 years 10 months ago #59670

Found 550 works finally... I suppose that the MSC was the hog... Edit: assembled it, I bet that the motor attracted some of the packed screws getting inside... Also I found that some 1/8 shocks I ordered for an 1/18 buggy fit awesomely...

Last edit: by Dash_Crash. Reason: Added info

Kyosho hi rider 3 years 10 months ago #59845

Rats... Mixed up the motor and replaced the Kyosho le mans with a lame mabuchi 540 ( curiously it was superior to the le mans go figure) unstuck the 550 and I'm ready to assemble it, besides, realized the poor condition of the tires, idea, vulcanise them with some tire repairing. .. wish me luck.

Kyosho hi rider 3 years 10 months ago #59850

Rats... Mixed up the motor and replaced the Kyosho le mans with a lame mabuchi 540 ( curiously it was superior to the le mans go figure) unstuck the 550 and I'm ready to assemble it, besides, realized the poor condition of the tires, idea, vulcanise them with some tire repairing. .. wish me luck.

Finding the exact replacement tires for the Hi Rider 2 is extremely complicated, but at least those are 2.2, so you have many optional tires to choose from. Good luck with the resto, and share some pictures of your Corvette when you can :y:

Kyosho hi rider 3 years 10 months ago #59864

Kyosho hi rider 3 years 10 months ago #59873

Nice tires. They certainly fit the wheels. Not sure about the chassis, as if they will touch the chassis when steering. You need to check that. Otherwise, the Monster Vette is going to look even better than original.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.