Keyword

TOPIC:

Terra Scorcher Re-re. Initial thoughts. 3 years 8 months ago #61098

After a lengthy wait (opted to save money and use RCJaz), the new Scorcher has arrived and will be occupying my rain soaked Thursday.
I decided to plunge into the re-re having had an original back in the day and loved it.
Some advice though if anyone can assist:
1) the well documented fragile A5 issue. What's the best fix?
2) will egress high-caps slot straight in or do they need adapting?
3) what are people's experiences with Tamiyas in-the-box ESC? I remember way-back-when they weren't super well regarded but I don't want to upgrade unless totally necessary, and I'm not planning on running anything crazy motor wise.
Any advice, pointers, thoughts, greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Terra Scorcher Re-re. Initial thoughts. 3 years 8 months ago #61100

After a lengthy wait (opted to save money and use RCJaz), the new Scorcher has arrived and will be occupying my rain soaked Thursday.
I decided to plunge into the re-re having had an original back in the day and loved it.
Some advice though if anyone can assist:
1) the well documented fragile A5 issue. What's the best fix?
2) will egress high-caps slot straight in or do they need adapting?
3) what are people's experiences with Tamiyas in-the-box ESC? I remember way-back-when they weren't super well regarded but I don't want to upgrade unless totally necessary, and I'm not planning on running anything crazy motor wise.
Any advice, pointers, thoughts, greatly appreciated.

Welcome on board :y: B)

Not overly familiar with this chassis, but:

A5 - brace it (www.ebay.co.uk/...1928172427)

Hi caps, no idea

ESCs - they all have some "issues" - no BEC on the early ones (TEU-101BK), double tap reverse which some people don't like, noise at low speeds, no Lipo support (Tamiya having opted for Li-ion, aka LiFe instead). On the plus side they allow you a modest motor upgrade to the torque tuned or sport tuned motor, which despite the recent downgrade from black to silver is still the cheapest 30% improvement you're going to get.

:)

Terra Scorcher Re-re. Initial thoughts. 3 years 8 months ago #61102

Cheers Jonny.
Been 'in the hobby' forever but this is my first foray into the forums.
Will hit eBay and have a look at the A5 fix.
Re the ESC, I have a sport tuned motor that I bought for a recent TT-01 project so might well employ that.
I've had a quick look to see what hop-ups are available and it's slim pickings, as it always was for the thundershot cars(?).

Terra Scorcher Re-re. Initial thoughts. 3 years 8 months ago #61107

The terra scorcher is already a "full" option buggy. It is a hopuped thundershot.

Terra Scorcher Re-re. Initial thoughts. 3 years 8 months ago #61114

Yeah I know but wondered if anything had come along over the intervening period since initial release (32 years is a LONG time).......!
Certainly the motors an obvious one (and as above I'll use the spare Sport-Tuned I have for at least a modest performance improvement).
Straightforward and satisfying build so far. I'd forgotten what a pretty buggy it is. In comparison my Top Force looks like it's been trodden on.
I've bought the suggested A5 brace as per above. Probably a wise £10 investment.

Terra Scorcher Re-re. Initial thoughts. 3 years 8 months ago #61115

The A5 tends to break always

Terra Scorcher Re-re. Initial thoughts. 3 years 8 months ago #61117

It's a far 'nicer' kit than I remember the original being. Packaged like the upmarket kits were back in the day. And I'm reminded why Tamiya enjoys so much enduring popularity. The kit and the instructions are a joy.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Terra Scorcher Re-re. Initial thoughts. 3 years 8 months ago #61138

I use the kit TBLE-02s ESC on many, many cars and buggies with no problems. It will handle anything up to a sport tuned and will even run a sensored brushless if you want. Only downside is no Li-Po cutoff so I usually use NiMH with my re-re and vintage cars. You can also just install a $5 Li-Po alarm.

Terra Scorcher Re-re. Initial thoughts. 3 years 8 months ago #61142

I'm going to stick to that then.
Besides anything else I've just dug out the spare motor I had in mind and it's actually a Torque-Tuned so certainly no issue for the kit ESC.
Only decision now is do I a) stick to the authentic box-art colours/wheels/stance or b) lower it, put Avante wheels on it and go all moody. I've seen some customised ones that look incredible.

Terra Scorcher Re-re. Initial thoughts. 3 years 8 months ago #61149

I back ordered one myself and it is on its way. Very excited to get this build underway. I have a Tamiya BZ 23 turn motor waiting for it and it already comes with a full set of bearings.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.