Keyword

TOPIC:

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 5 months ago #69020

This lot landed on my door, It's a shared deal with a Buddy, I need a heap of parts to complete my thundershot but there will be enough left for him to have 2 cars :) 

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Rabbi_kun, jord001, Ducksnuts, mirrorman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 5 months ago #69022

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers

A nice pair of early Acoms servos arrived. Again these will go in one of my vintage builds. As I’m getting absolutely nowhere on the painting front, I might start on a couple of chassis builds.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 5 months ago #69024

I can relate Al. 
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 5 months ago #69028

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers

I can relate Al. 

Cheers Jim, I’ve given up on paint for this year. I might try and do some drivers or something small, just to get past my complete mental hurdle that is painting.

The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 5 months ago #69030

Hi Al, yes and with the Winters we get in New Hampshire I usually like to build a few chassis and get excited to paint in the Spring. I will also sometimes get a kit that has a preprinted body for the Winter time.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 5 months ago #69034

This lot landed on my door, It's a shared deal with a Buddy, I need a heap of parts to complete my thundershot but there will be enough left for him to have 2 cars :) 

Seems to b a great deal with plenty of usefu parts 
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus, jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 5 months ago #69057

The principle is very simple : you add or remove basic form to other basic forms and it will become a more complex form... 

Reminded me of comment from a software developer about Architects and Revit.....  "It's not that complicated, everything is just a combination of cubes, cylinders, and cones."
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 5 months ago #69058

The principle is very simple : you add or remove basic form to other basic forms and it will become a more complex form... 

Reminded me of comment from a software developer about Architects and Revit.....  "It's not that complicated, everything is just a combination of cubes, cylinders, and cones."

Not really surprised by this statement... For two reasons:
  • First : I work in Information Technology :-D
  • Second: that is really what it is
To make it even simple to understand, here is a part that I designed for the rear end of my Hunter chassis

No one can deny it looks complex

You can see the part integrated now in my recently rebuilt Hunter

Now, what it is really to design this complex parts is to put or remove together simple forms in Tinkercad

Today, tools are really simple, and what is even making the life of the users easier is that there is a included tutorial in the tools to ease the understanding, and as well a lot of tutorials on Youtube (and for most, they are not made by IT guys, but guys who just tried and share their tricks)... Don't overthink things, it is really easier than what it looks like.
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 5 months ago #69063

My background is in Civil Drafting, so have spent many years using MicroStation and Autocad. And yeh it's not far off. Even 2D drawings basically consist of lines & arcs, and the occasional spiral.
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 5 months ago #69064

Well, I did engineering studies long time ago (1993-1996). CAD software already existed, but they were really difficult to use. To the point where you needed to draw on the paper first before going to the CAD software to reproduce it. I did not use any of those CAD software since then until I restarted in RC this year, as I invested on a 3D printer. What impressed me the most is that in 2 hours of time with Tinkercad or Fusion360 (much more complex than the former one), I was able to do more or less what I did in 6 months of work during my studies...
Maybe I tend to oversimplify it, but today, on that aspect, there is a lot you can do you were not able to do 30 years ago... (and looking at what my son is doing with the few elements I showed him on Tinkercad, it seems that it is possible for everyone, as long as you invested the minimal amount of time required to learn it - and ofr Tinkercad, at start it is just a question of minutes)...
And possibilities are going from the small and simple part to the most complex one (limits due to the printing process aside, which takes a bit more to understand)...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001, Ducksnuts

Last edit: by silvertriple.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.553 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.