TOPIC:

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 2 months ago #69993

I also have a bag o crystal

I'm afraid my eyebrows went up before I reached the end of that sentence   

;)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 2 months ago #69994

One of my Xmas presents was an Amazon voucher, part of that went on a Reichs-Ausschuß für Lieferbedingungen classic colour chart :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, Ducksnuts

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 2 months ago #69996

Nice find Al. The sanwa rx are very interesting. And we never have enough xtal. 
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 2 months ago #69997

xpress shipping from sweden. Thanks a lot Tom
Now the xr is complete.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 2 months ago #70017

Some more servos arrived - four Tower Pro MG995, they're always a bit slow & gravelly sounding (and these are no exception) but seem to be fairly tough.

The last time I needed some cheap metal servos I bought four of the MG996R with the purple label, supposed to be stronger/better but two of them were so poor at centring they were unusable, so I went "back" a step this time.

I also had four "Futaba" (they're _so_ not) S3003 servos arrive today ... I'd carefully chosen the least shonky looking seller with the least bad looking servos, but these are comedically bad. There's a huge amount of slop at zero on all of them, I'd measure how many degrees it is, but I really don't want to know :D One of the outputs is off centre and at an angle. All run backwards compared to ever other servo I've owned, ever (I never owned the deliberately "backward" Acoms servos meant for Tamiya 3-speeds BITD before servo reversing switches were invented). All of them do weird things on my servo testers. I tried changing the batteries, I tried changing the servo tester - it took me a while to realise that they were resetting the tester, the three LEDs kept coming on going back to the "manual" (potentiometer controlled) mode. 3 of them, plug in any other servo in addition & they (or rather the tester) would work fine. The 4th one needed 3 servos plugged in for normal function.

I tried them all with a proper radio - no issues at all, regardless of the number of (fake S3003) servos connected, or how many were in simultaneous use. I just don't know if i can trust them at all. I don't mean just if they'll fail, I mean whether at some point they'll cause the magic smoke to escape from other components, or start a fire. I'd probably only have used them as placeholders (to keep the wheels straight) anyway, but now I'm thinking I might have to cut the leads of in case anyone tries to use them :blink:

I _could_ sent them back, but I don't think eBay have a radio button for "I'm the sort of guy that buys blatantly fake, cheap servos, then complains they're no good" :D

Cheap, standard, plastic geared servos cost 3 times what they did a couple of years ago, they were cheap but adequate then, and it's not like they're any better than they were, just way less value. I kind of resent that, but clearly all I can get at the same price as "adequate" 2 years ago is laughable/tat now.

I think the solution is going to be to buy better servos, and remember to take them out when I sell a vehicle :)

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 2 months ago #70067

S3003 and S3004 (latter being the ball bearing version) must be one of the most copyed servo out there.
Some are really bad.
My LHS sells them for 15 quid each so they are not exactly dirt cheap anymore.

I had good luck with the Power HD 6001HB.
They are a bit stronger than the 3003, and you can later upgrade them with metal gears from the 6001MG if you want.
My LHS has the 6001HB for £9.60, I bet they are cheaper where you at.
The 6001MG cost £15.80 so the metal gears to add to the price.

Last year or so my LHS got the brand Dualsky.
I bought two of the AS549 to test and have as spares since they where the second cheapest option.
One was very jerky in the whole range, the other worked good when tested.
I don't think I bother to buy these again.

I had a few Power HD over the years and they last and most of them are smooth like a proper S3003..

When I started this hobby 32 years ago my servos was either S148, Sanwa std servo or Acoms.
Those never failed me and I did plenty of driving.
One of the S148 worn so much the splined shaft started to wobble, but it worked fine.
Back then it was cheaper to buy a new servo or get one from one of your mates.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, Al, jord001

Last edit: by caprinut.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 2 months ago #70070

I bought lot of fake s3003 and for my use they are enough efficients. And all were usable. But I use them for soft funny only. And with 1/10. For my gp and bigger scales I used better servos. Metal gears faster and more torque.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 2 months ago #70096

It's been busy couple weeks with family, kids, and all the other stuff this time of year, that I haven't been around much or had time to do much........  However, here is what "Santa" brought me.

I've had an eye on the Fighting Buggy for a while, that qwirky rear suspension, and finally decided I could justify (to myself at least) the price.  Opening the box I was pleasantly surprised, ok I felt like a kid and also like twenty something when I got the Super Hornet....  That it had blister packs on the parts boxes.  So much so, that I'm now trying to convince myself to get another.  One to build and one to keep.

It'll be a while before I build this one, as want to get all my other WIP's out of the way first.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 2 months ago #70119

Today I received a pack of 10x female and make style Tamiya connectors wirh gold pins for better current delivery.
Have a few msc plugs I want to replace.
Should last a while....
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 2 years 2 months ago #70120

Why not changing for something more reliable such as Xt60 connectors?
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.