Keyword

TOPIC:

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60237

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
It is also quite possible alternative options have popped up meanwhile... perhaps other forum members know.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60238

Maybe find a top force and replace arms .

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60247

A bit late to see this. And it 's been a while since I built anything - but yes, the DF-01 and TA01 chassis should be identical.

To be honest, I remember this was a lot more work than I anticipated. I wouldn't frivolously recommend modifying a chassis like I did. A carbon chassis is awesome of course and the steering setup is more accurate but I would just build the Cayenne first (It's a nice one by the way) and then see if you really think it's worth it.

Oh no i won't have the patience to modifiy it. Not like how u did! I have butterfingers and i know with absolute certainty i will muck it up.

Just that the TA01 chassis looked like it has less material up front so i was wondering if a turnbuckle will fit in there somehow without any cutting. Or i'll just get the GPM aluminum linkage kit; but it has some slop yes?

The one thing i can't stand is slop. Its a Tamiya thing; but one i will try my best to get rid of as much as possible, even if it means using non-Tamiya ball end / ball cup combos.

This will be my first new chassis build since leaving the hobby 20 years ago. Boy, i am shocked @ the advancement in electronics since that time. I discovered by chance, somehow, that the Cayenne DF01 kit has a 280mm wheelbase and 205 mm width. And i am ashamed to admit, i only wanted to get 1 because i wanted to build a chassis to fit a Pajero Evolution body(280mm wheelbase, 210mm width). And i wanted a chassis that could go reasonable fast (if i wanted to, but i won't) with front and rear independent suspension, just like the real thing, so a crawler chassis would be inaccurate, ergo, out.

What the badword, maybe i'll document the build in a new thread.

Last edit: by Samurai_Blues.

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60269

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Would be great to see a build thread. :)

Perhaps you were looking at a TA02 chassis? That does indeed have a different front end (and a varying wheelbase so it's not usable). The DF-01 and TA01 chassis should be identical.

The Cayenne thanks it long wheelbase to having TA02 rear suspension arms by the way. The wheelbase of the TA02 chassis is 20mm shorter, which is equalised to the TA01 by having suspension arms that point backwards by 20mm. So if you put those on a TA01 (DF-01), it will be that much longer than usual.

If you ask me, I'd consider upgrading the steering after having tried the basic setup. One thing I would definitely upgrade straight away is an alloy prop shaft...

Last edit: by Edou.

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60270

Would be great to see a build thread. :)

Perhaps you were looking at a TA02 chassis? That does indeed have a different front end (and a varying wheelbase so it's not usable). The DF-01 and TA01 chassis should be identical.

The Cayenne thanks it long wheelbase to having TA02 rear suspension arms by the way. The wheelbase of the TA02 chassis is 20mm shorter, which is equalised to the TA01 by having suspension arms that point backwards by 20mm. So if you put those on a TA01 (DF-01), it will be that much longer than usual.

If you ask me, I'd consider upgrading the steering after having tried the basic setup. One thing I would definitely upgrade straight away is an alloy prop shaft...

Yeah that too. Heresay the GPM version is better than the Yeah Racing one? i was also thinking of alloy shock towers. A gander throu the manuals has me realizing the shock tower is only secured by 2 screw through the gearbox housing. Pretty meh :(

Also hinge pins instead of the long screws. I have been advised against swapping out the U shaped shaft in front in favor of hinge pins. Any merit in that?

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60273

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
I can't say I am very informed about the latter. As to the prop shaft, I think the one with the flattened ends is preferable to the dogbone style item. Not necessarily purple like in the links of course, lol.

Alloy shock towers are nice but for going off road, the flexibility in the plastic version is actually a good thing. With alloy and enough strain, it'll just break somewhere else I reckon...

Edit - but I'm betting you'll end up similar to my project. Lol.

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60279

Like said Edou, the best shock towers are carbon or frp. Lighter more resistant and flexible.

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60301

I can't say I am very informed about the latter. As to the prop shaft, I think the one with the flattened ends is preferable to the dogbone style item. Not necessarily purple like in the links of course, lol.

Alloy shock towers are nice but for going off road, the flexibility in the plastic version is actually a good thing. With alloy and enough strain, it'll just break somewhere else I reckon...

Edit - but I'm betting you'll end up similar to my project. Lol.

Oh wow. Thats a nice DF01 right there. You know with so much blue and alloy... i am kindda getting a DF01MS vibe if there ever was one!

Are the shock towers on the DF01 Cayenne the same ones as the TA01/TA02? They look similar in the instruction manuals when i compare DF01s and TA01 side by side. i forgot that there are carbon versions; just that when you click on DF01 parts on RCMART, the alloy ones are just right there!

EDIT: What wheel/tire combo are you running? Got any pics ?

Like said Edou, the best shock towers are carbon or frp. Lighter more resistant and flexible.

Yeah, that makes sense for sure. I'll start looking for carbon ones!
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Last edit: by Samurai_Blues.

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60305

Cayenne, hummer,ta01 ta02 chevy s10, prerunner and f150 baja have the same body shocks posts.
The following user(s) Liked this: Samurai_Blues

DF-01 bathtub steering and undercowl mods 3 years 10 months ago #60329

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
The tyres are 2.8" Pro-Line Dirt Hawgs on a (black painted) Tamiya Levant rim, Samurai_Blues. They're quite oversized, lol.

Next likely point of failure after the shock tower itself is the screw on the gearbox next to it, you can see in the images I've made a little mod for that which attempts to even out the direct strain. I'll try to find where I posted the process...

Edit - it's been a while. I think that mod is not directly related to stresses from the shock tower but to the force coming from the gear underneath. The thing that will fail should there too much strain on the suspension will probably be the point where the shock is attached to the suspension arm. But should that ever happen, it won't be a big deal to replace.
The following user(s) Liked this: Samurai_Blues

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.