Keyword

TOPIC:

What did you do today? 4 years 8 months ago #55814

Whew! What awesome stuff, everything! I've been browsing this thread now for about 15 minutes and I'm speechless. I wish I hade something to show for myself. Sadly most of my bodies still aren't painted, and my consumerism drives me to leave a project before it's finished to buy another kit to build and test. Sort of one long chassi-research.

This is how most of my shelves look. Various chassis with unpainted bodies. Sometimes I buy a particular body of a fancy car to fit on i.e. one TT-01 chassi, drilling the holes, cutting it out, smoothening the edges, then when all is ready to paint .. the end. I have tamiya-paints, lots of it. But instead I go out driving paintless! Why?

And here's my M-series cars. The MF-01X, M-05, M-06, with perfectly cutout and trimmed bodies. I even screwed the little lamps onto the Renault Alpine.
But no paint.

Curious about those 'crawlers' I bought Axial's SX10-II. Built it, installed all electronics, I even got the inner fenders for mud protection. Body is cutout and trimmed with all details in place. But no paint.

Another Axial, here's the Yeti desert truck. Although I cut the body out it still needs trimming, and some detailing. You think it will get painted within the next 100 years? ...hmm
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What did you do today? 4 years 8 months ago #55815

Finally finished assembling my Blackfoot collection.

Nice :y: B)

But ... Super Blackfoot?

What did you do today? 4 years 8 months ago #55816

...I go out driving paintless! Why? ...

I think you're feart of messing up the paint & decalling, and at least subconciously you think that while the bodywork is bare it's perfect, even if incomplete.

To a certain extent it's a vaild worry, and you haven't made it especially easy on yourself by having so many Lexan rally cars - meaning you need to think backwards, and fit a lot of decals, some of them over 3 dimensional curves.

You're not going to get any better at doing it by _not_ doing it though. You could start by practicing of offcuts of Lexan & bits of masking & decal sheets that won't be used, then work up to single colour paintjobs & the more basic details.

:)

What did you do today? 4 years 8 months ago #55818

Thanks for your input, Jonny. You may be very right, even spot on. Yes, there is a kind of 'worry', and also a certain laziness. I often find myself lazy when no longer having any preassure to finish something. Like; "naah, I will do it later .. ", and so on. Then there's the "what color should I use?" - the original kit examples, that would often be the historically correct paint schemes, are good. But I often want to do a different scheme, I just don't know which. And the vision changes all the time!? One day I want a red Datsun, the next I think of bronze, and next day I may watch a YT clip with a silver Datsun .. and so it goes. :(

What did you do today? 4 years 8 months ago #55821

So today I cleaned up my lunchy runner. And now it is ready to be for sale.
Attachments:

What did you do today? 4 years 8 months ago #55824

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Hi Flo, is that the one that went swimming ?

What did you do today? 4 years 8 months ago #55825

:D
Yes it is but dried cleaned and verified.
It works nice.

What did you do today? 4 years 8 months ago #55828

Thanks for your input, Jonny. You may be very right, even spot on. Yes, there is a kind of 'worry', and also a certain laziness. I often find myself lazy when no longer having any preassure to finish something. Like; "naah, I will do it later .. ", and so on. Then there's the "what color should I use?" - the original kit examples, that would often be the historically correct paint schemes, are good. But I often want to do a different scheme, I just don't know which. And the vision changes all the time!? One day I want a red Datsun, the next I think of bronze, and next day I may watch a YT clip with a silver Datsun .. and so it goes. :(

I don't think Tamiya putting the bodywork/paint/decalling right at the end of the build process helps, it makes it seem a bit like an afterthought, when IMO it's the _most_ important bit, the other stuff isn't quite infinite monkey level, but It really is just spannering .. I know I made a pretty poor job of the bodywork on my first Grasshopper (even if I was barely into double digits) ...

I know some people love to go for something completely wild, but I generally stick with colours that are close to boxart (Sky Blue & Alpine white on a Sand Scorcher, Rover Nightfire Metallic on a Sand Rover, Fiat Rosso Arancio on a Clod Buster etc etc) or Tamiya's secondary paint scheme (Camo on a Wild Willy 2 body, the other obvious example is red & yellow on a Sand Scorcher), or some close variation (like yellow & blue panels on a Willy's Wheeler) to make a car slightly more "mine" & that seesm to work out fairly well for me :)

What did you do today? 4 years 8 months ago #55830

Something I _didn't_ do today was clear this lot up so I could use the desk... I didn't know where to start so haven't done it :(

Attachments:

What did you do today? 4 years 8 months ago #55903

I started a photo session today.

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Attachments:

Last edit: by larbut.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.593 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.