Keyword

TOPIC:

What did you do today? 2 years 7 months ago #68144

Today and this past weekend was spent melding two of my favorite trucks together with an aim at making something more scale looking. I started with the chassis from my Ford F-350 high Lift and grafted on my Clodbuster re re body I did in my real trucks paint scheme. Overall I am quite happy with the look and other than the Clod being a model of an 8 foot bed and my real truck being a 6.5 foot bed, it is strikingly close to the real thing. I kept with the stock rear body mounts and just added 2 hole to the Clod bod. The front however was a bit more tricky, The front bumper now resides on the body not the chassis like on the Clod. I epoxied 2 medium nuts to the underside of the bumper and spanned the distance with long screws and spacers. The front of the body attaches to the chassis via the existing 90 degree loop that comes on the chassis and another identical grafted to the truck then just screwed together. Relatively well hidden and now the whole body tilts back instead of just the bed as with the Ford.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What did you do today? 2 years 7 months ago #68148

Yeah very nice Jim
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

What did you do today? 2 years 7 months ago #68149

Thanks Flo, it has been a while since I have done anything like this and it was very enjoyable! 
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

What did you do today? 2 years 7 months ago #68157

The main work is done on the beetle. I'm still waiting some goodies for it, but I am proud of it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

Last edit: by stingray-63.

What did you do today? 2 years 7 months ago #68158

Can't go wrong with a Fall Guy truck 

Nice Beetle Flo 
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

What did you do today? 2 years 7 months ago #68160

Great choice on the color Flo!! Nice work!! 

Thanks Caprinut! It was a dream come true to build the real one as I wanted one since I was 10-12 years old!! 
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, jord001

What did you do today? 2 years 7 months ago #68161

Thx guys. The color is the transluscent sparkles red from spaz stix backed with the mb red.
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001

What did you do today? 2 years 7 months ago #68173

Deigning parts to reinforce things on a chassis is not an easy thing.... I got parts to reinforce the bumper fixation, but since they did look like something which have no purpose, I modified them to fit a purpose... But then it doesn't fit anymore the orignal intent...

But it's fun, and I will find a way, that looks nice, integrated, and fitting the intended purpose !!! And definitely, since there is front lights, rear lights are a must (even if they are fake :-D)

I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001, Ducksnuts

What did you do today? 2 years 7 months ago #68185

Flo, is that your own beetle? It would look nice with some Fuchs style wheels on it. I have seen quite a few over here with the Porsche wheels. 
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

What did you do today? 2 years 7 months ago #68186

Haven't been in the mood to do much after work but I have been ordering a few things off the internet for when I am in the mood. 
Got myself an FTX 550 motor, it was only £10 so I thought i'd try one. Not sure what FTX its normally fitted in but I just realised it could be quite a hot motor. 

Also a while back Flo was looking for some steering arms for the grasshopper I think. I had some spare so sent them over. I had a light bulb moment and measured the bars. they were 1.6mm if I recall.  How thick are bicycle spokes? It turns out they are slightly thicker @ 2mm. They would make a nice slight upgrade for very little money.   I ordered a couple of stainless ones and also some in black. I think black steering bard would look good. 

I had to order a new die stock as my dies were too small for the ones I already have. It came today so I checked that the 2mm die fitted. It does.  Also my M3 AND m4 fit too so thats a bonus.

After cutting off the end of the spoke I placed it in my vice and without too much trouble threaded the rod with the 2mm die. 

All ready to cut to the correct length, thread the other end, attach cup fittings for the ball nuts on the steering knuckles and servo horn and we have custom black uprated bars. 

I will upload pics when I fit them to the FrankenHopper

Regards

Lee
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple

Last edit: by jord001.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.