Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Un-numbered PS Spray colors (899XX): 5 years 4 months ago #52528

Amidst all the logic of Tamiya's paint numbering schemes, there are five PS spray colors that have no PS-XX format number:

www.tamiya.com/...t86004.htm

Tamiya lists these as the "899" series. And, they certainly exist on this site:

tamiyabase.com/...9911-899xx

But my question is, why were these given no PS-XX designation? Were they a limited-edition run, something Tamiya didn't expect to keep in stock?

I've seen various color charts where these are actually listed as "PSXX" on the little peninsula of the hexagon that otherwise contains PS12, etc. But those could well be produced by dealers or other semi-official sources.

Just curious if anyone knows the story with these!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Un-numbered PS Spray colors (899XX): 5 years 4 months ago #52530

IIRC they were very limited run paints intended for specific polycarbonate bodied RC cars, which always seemed a bit shortsighted to me - both in terms of needing a colour they didn't already make, and only making it available for a short time. I think the metallic snot green 11 might have been for a Unimog, and the 22 Ferrari red was presumably for a Ferrari of some description, but TBH I don't care enough to do any research. I think Tamiya also did somthing similar with TS paints, though the shades & number system elude me.

Top lurking BTW.

:)

Un-numbered PS Spray colors (899XX): 5 years 4 months ago #52572

I figured I should read everything on the site before I posted, so... :)

I'm working on some colorimetric visualizations of Tamiya's paints, and it's frustrating to not have any numbers for just these few... I think I'll dig into the release history of the particular models these were targeted towards and assign them pseudo-numbers roughly following what had come out at that point.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, Jonny Retro

Last edit: by pleonard.

Un-numbered PS Spray colors (899XX): 5 years 4 months ago #52573

Intriguing ....I take it the "order" on your x-axis is numeric value of the Tamiya paint code?

What does the graph look like if for example you assigned a "order" of a fixed value per paint type (e.g. "PCxx" = 10, "PSnn"=20 etc), vs "hue" on the y-axis? I'm imagining a series of straight rainbows would be a useful reference for anyone that has ever asked a question along the lines of "what's the nearest Xnn colour match to PSnn?

The instances of red next to blues & pinks next to greys looks "wrong" to me, I'm not sure it has any real use as it stands, and you know what William Morris said about that ;)

:)

Un-numbered PS Spray colors (899XX): 5 years 4 months ago #52578

Very cool image, pleonard!
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Un-numbered PS Spray colors (899XX): 5 years 4 months ago #52580

Yeah, the "order" is just one way of arranging them along the X-Axis. It overlaps each series because they all have their own numbers, but it is somewhat useful to see a burst of military drabs in the XF series at a certain point, for example. The tool will let you measure Lightness vs Hue, Saturation vs Lightness, Lightness vs Order, etc... Separating the order by X/XF/P{C|S} is a great idea too; I can work on adding that in.

Color and perception is obviously a very fraught space and HSL/RGB/etc all have their quirks. I'm excited to play around with various models and clustering algorithms to see what patterns emerge. A planned feature is indeed to offer a "what's closest to this color?" option, with a choice of various similarity metrics...

Un-numbered PS Spray colors (899XX): 5 years 4 months ago #52585

All what I know about tamiya colors is that some colors were made especially made for some models. The 7UP green for the f1, the corsa grey for the fiat 1000tcr berlina corsa, and the ps33( in my remembers) cherry red fluo pink for the beautifull nismo clarion r32 nissan skyline ta02w/ tgx .
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Un-numbered PS Spray colors (899XX): 5 years 4 months ago #52586

That's way more than I remembered, Stingray :y:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.