Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Boomerang 3 years 11 months ago #59361

Hi all
Please don't laugh.
I've just joined. I was into Tamiya cars in the 90's and recently bought an immaculate pair of cars - a vintage frog and boomerang, which my son and I have had a lot of fun with. However yesterday the boomerang (with new electrics professionally installed ) ended up in the sea! I fished it out with a boat hook and hosed it with tap water. Not good news, I know. Is there any hope for the boomerang? Should I get all the electrics replaced again? Don't want to bin it!
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Many thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Duncan.

Boomerang 3 years 11 months ago #59362

Welcome on board. You can maybe save your electro. Put all in rice during some days and try your system. If it works, dude if not, you would need a new receiver. Generally servos are waterproof.

Boomerang 3 years 11 months ago #59363

You need to rinse in clear water before drying to avoid oxydation.

Boomerang 3 years 11 months ago #59364

Thanks very much indeed for this help

Boomerang 3 years 11 months ago #59365

You're welcome duncan

Boomerang 3 years 11 months ago #59367

If it was actually submerged in salt water for any period of time, there is a good chance your electronics are done. Did it have any function at all when it came out or was the power totally dead? You can try drying and cleaning as previously recommended. It just might work, but probably not. I drove my E-Revo into the sea long ago and fried the electronics. The salt will rust the bearings (if you have ball bearings) so you'll want to clean those really well. The motor will probably survive if you clean it up and lubricate with some WD-40. If you tell us what kind of ESC and servo you have, we can advise if those are more or less likely to survive.

Last edit: by blakbird.

Boomerang 3 years 11 months ago #59369

Thanks Blakbird,
Yes, totally dead, although the motor works when I briefly put a battery to the wires...
All a bit depressing - she spent around 10 minutes on the Solent seabed!
The receiver is an Acoms ARE-227 and a Tamiya TEU-104BK
Keen to get it fired up again!

Boomerang 3 years 11 months ago #59370

OK, thanks for the information.
  • Motor: Assuming it is a stock silver can motor, if it is not rotating with a direct battery connection, then it is seized. This motor does not use ball bearings so those can't be rusted, but it has a sealed can that can't be opened. All you can do it spray in some WD-40 (or equivalent) and see if you can get it spinning again. I would guess you can probably get it working smoothly again.
  • ESC: The TEU-104BK is not waterproof, but I've had good luck reviving them after water contact. Open up the case and dry up any water with rice, then brush off any oxidation. It just might work.
  • Receiver: If my research is right, that's a very old AM receiver that's certainly not waterproof. Almost certainly fried. We can recommend some cheap modern radio systems if you like.
  • Servo: Still need to know what kind of servo you have.

Boomerang 3 years 11 months ago #59373

The ARE rx is not waterproof. But easy to open. One of mine took a bath several years ago. It still works fine. ( The m1025 hummer doesn't float :D )

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.