Keyword

TOPIC:

Porsche Tamiya Kit Mid 90's 5 years 7 months ago #51347

Hi, I found my old Tamiya from the 90's in the loft, ive already cleaned a lot of the inch thick dust off her. I have no idea what chassis it is or if its a original or remake. All i know is :

-Purchased in the mid 90's
-Originally had a manual speed control - A friend gave me the one in the photos in the late 90's
-Fitted a "monster" motor - I remember this making it crazy fast!
-Had metal bearings to replace the plastic ones
-The body shell was clear and this was the one that came in the box - I remember spraying it.

Im looking forward to restoring her and having fun! What upgrades should I also do - the suspension springs are a little rusty.

I think it will come up nicely, i am surprised the shell came up so well after just a wash!

Please if you know what this is - do let me know! Many thanks for your help in advance and apologies for the newbie questions!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Porsche Tamiya Kit Mid 90's 5 years 7 months ago #51348

You have here a nice 996 on a TL01 chassis. A entry chassis but like indestructible. You can make rallye, classic on road, and buggy with long arms wheeles and shocks like the baja champ.

Porsche Tamiya Kit Mid 90's 5 years 7 months ago #51349

Very nice deco on the body.

Porsche Tamiya Kit Mid 90's 5 years 7 months ago #51350

Thanks so a TL01 - is this a re-release or original? Wheels and transmitter (elecs stripped out first) just came out the dishwasher and look great. Ive ordered a battery, hope she works.

Should i replace / upgrade anything? The rusty shocks dont look great :-(

Thanks for you help!!!

Porsche Tamiya Kit Mid 90's 5 years 7 months ago #51351

You already have a trinity monster motor a vintage futaba mc216 esc. You need wheeles (standard tamiya ones or other brands) bearings already installed. And maybe a set of hydro shocks. Like cva.
After that look for steel motor pinion. It is a good beginning. Other options aren't necessary to play.

Porsche Tamiya Kit Mid 90's 5 years 7 months ago #51352

Sweet - cant wait - thanks for your help - What are hydro shocs cva and which ones do i need for this car? Thanks!

Porsche Tamiya Kit Mid 90's 5 years 7 months ago #51354

They are hydrolic dampers. Look at the database for the good item from tamiya. I think that cva mini unit2 should be the good set. To confirm.

Porsche Tamiya Kit Mid 90's 5 years 7 months ago #51355

Thanks!

Porsche Tamiya Kit Mid 90's 5 years 7 months ago #51356

You re welcome.

Re:RE: Porsche Tamiya Kit Mid 90's 5 years 7 months ago #51358

You have here a nice 996 on a TL01 chassis. A entry chassis but like indestructible. You can make rallye, classic on road, and buggy with long arms wheeles and shocks like the baja champ.

Not entirely true, if you put to much strain/torque on the gearbox they tend to crack open (mainly the front one). Happens most with the buggies due to the bigger wheels. Think there excist some braces to improve the gearbox staying closed. One reason I never got into TL01.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.