Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Group C Painted Bodies 3 years 5 months ago #62629

According to the world's greatest Tamiya reference TamiyaBase, the Group C releases went like this: C-11, 300ZX, XJR12, NSX, F40, 787B, and R91CP. These were all from 90-92. There were more later. Then in 2005 a bunch were re-released with all black molded parts instead of colors, and with painted bodies. These were the C-11, XJR12, F40, and 787B. I now have 3 of those 4. The 300ZX and the R91CP were not among them. Then in 2012 the R91CP was finally re-released as a limited edition but it did NOT include a painted body like the others. However, I managed to buy this on eBay:

My question is this: did Tamiya ever release this in any form as a painted body? If not I have to assume it was painted by the owner. It sure does look good. Maybe Lars did it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, TamiyafanTrieste

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Group C Painted Bodies 3 years 5 months ago #62634

"According to the world's greatest Tamiya reference TamiyaBase"
;D Looks like I landed in the right forum then.

I didn't know Tamiya did ready shells for the cars. I thought you'd either buy a "XB" kit (expert built) or just a spare transparent body to later paint yourself. But the painted bodys are much more expensive, aren't they?

Group C Painted Bodies 3 years 5 months ago #62639

I didn't know Tamiya did ready shells for the cars. I thought you'd either buy a "XB" kit (expert built) or just a spare transparent body to later paint yourself. But the painted bodys are much more expensive, aren't they?

It is pretty rare for a Tamiya kit to come with a painted body, but it does happen. The re-re's of the Group C Mercedes C-11, Mazda 787B, Jaguar XJR-12, and Ferrari F40 all had them. More recently, the Comical Avante and the new VQS come with painted bodies, but those still require that you apply the stickers. So far as I am aware, Tamiya has not sold the painted bodies separately, they only come with the kits.

Group C Painted Bodies 3 years 5 months ago #62678

I see, thanks. Well then I haven't missed much.

It would be an interesting business idea to buy spare clear bodies, paint them, and apply decals, and then re-sell for a win.

Group C Painted Bodies 3 years 5 months ago #62679

It would be an interesting business idea to buy spare clear bodies, paint them, and apply decals, and then re-sell for a win.

Don't do it - not even commissions. "Generous" "clients" tend to offer c. 5 GBP to cover materials, paint, postage & your time, others think you should be doing it for free "for the good of the hobby". Speculatively selling painted shells on eBay & the like means you can set your own price, but at best you will break even - generally they're worth less than the cost of the parts.

if you want to do it for practice/fun, then great, but if not, you're basically paying other people to paint their shells.

:(
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Group C Painted Bodies 3 years 5 months ago #62683

I understand that, Jonny, ofcourse. I didn't plan on doing it anyway, just the thought that somebody skilled would paint the body for me was tempting.

But still, imagine the joy, let's say you as a very skilled model builder would paint and equip bodies of various themes, like that 'apocalyptic Sand Scorcher' I've seen somwhere, it would be one of a kind.

At least I think I would pay quite a bit extra for a VW-bug looking like this:

I mean, you could easilly do it, I've seen your Rough Rider.
Attachments:

Last edit: by uncletom.

Group C Painted Bodies 3 years 5 months ago #62686

To have somebody to paint it to a perfect example it can get very expensive.

There was a 959 body being painted on the Tamiyaclub forum and I think he said it did cost well above 500 quid to do.
But again, that example had taken 100s of hours to do..

Group C Painted Bodies 3 years 5 months ago #62689

I paint Friend's bodies. I just ask that they buy paints .
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Group C Painted Bodies 3 years 5 months ago #62693

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Flo, you should make it paint and pints.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Group C Painted Bodies 3 years 5 months ago #62694

Capri, you have a picture of that body? I'd really like so see it.

Sting, well now we know how you get to practice ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.