Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Intro 6 years 1 week ago #48829

• Al
  • Al's Avatar Topic Author
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Hello all, in the spirit of Lars great website here's where I'm from and here's where I'm at now.
I think like most people on the site I got into Tamiya RC cars in the 80's.
First car was the Sand Rover, that was a Christmas present about 1983. I spent 2 days making it and must have been one of my parents quietest Christmas' ever.
Next came a Ferrari 312T3, a Ford Ranger, I had as seems to be a familiar pattern also started to pick up various spare parts along the way. So I built a Countach. Next was a Martini Porsche 935 which I spotted in a local toy / hobby shop. I must have caught my dad at a good moment because he came straight down to the shop with me and subbed me the cash to buy it ( cheers dad ).
Next came a Wild Willy ( my best friend from school still has this ) and then after finishing my O Levels my parents got me a
Hot Shot.
Where are all those cars now I ask myself, I guess my parents didn't fancy the mess ( mums love everything tidy, well mine did, so they managed to stop any amount of them to build up, the children of my dad's work mates got some cool cars ).

But that was then. I still have the Hot Shot and the box that the Sand Rover came in. I also kept the gear box and shocks from an SRB .
I also kept loads of random stuff, rear window from the Ranger, a single Sand Scorcher door handle. Theres more but I think we get the drift. I have 2 body shells I've had for 30 + years and never been on a chassis, a Ford RS200 lexan and Toyota Hi Lux, but with the rear truckman top neither of these are Tamiya.
I then saw the Ford F350 when it was released so some gap in time and got my wife and family to get it for me as a Christmas present. I followed that up with the re-release Rough Rider ( still NIB ), but will get built.

I then wanted a Sand Rover back in my life, so this started the renewed interest / obsession.
I think I have enough for 4 Sand Rover chassis ( 1 original body, but I'm working on remodelling the new one, I've got 2 of these ) 2 Holiday Buggy bodies
Sand Scorcher x 2,
Original Rough Rider,
Ford Ranger ( okay so Black foot body, original and mk3 one ),
2 Cheetahs, ( started a build thread )
1 XR311 ( plus 95 % of another chassis ), also started a build thread for this.
Wild One,
Blackfoot ( 90 % complete ),
Brat ( 80 % ), just wanted the body really, it's great.
Just bought the new release Lancia 037.
FAV (90% complete).

All of the above are works in progress, my family keep asking when I'll actually finish one. Lets just say I've got a lot of body shop work and spraying to do.

Thanks for anyone who reads this, I like the sense of Community on the site and after having read a ton of other peoples builds and taken a ton of advice from various threads, it seemed like it was only fair to join and share.

Cheers, Al
The following user(s) Liked this: Gripper107

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Al.

Intro 6 years 1 week ago #48833

A (belated) welcome on board Al :y: B)
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

Intro 6 years 1 week ago #48835

Re welcome Al. Nice collection in tour hand mate. :y:

Intro 6 years 1 week ago #48837

Welcome Al, although you've been around for a while :-)
I love your story, and in particular the section where you go from "interest" to "obsession" in a millisecond :lol:

Don't worry, it's typical around here, :lol:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Intro 6 years 1 week ago #48838

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Thanks all.
It was actually quite painful to list down all the old cars I let go. I really wish I'd kept them, they would have been great to restore.

Intro 5 years 10 months ago #50098

Al: "my family keep asking when I'll actually finish one"

:laugh: yeah, same case here. I rarely finish a body completely, although I do cut it out and sand edges very thoroughly. Then I race around in a transparent PC-body "testing" the car (because I can always paint it later ).

I focus a 100% on the chassi, giving it the perfect character suited for my particular idea. Usually it means softer springs, at times just completely new dampers, a brushless motor, preferably 15-17 T type. And new wheels & tires, if they aren't already rally type.

Doing an original paint job for me feels almost like a nightmare, "what if I don't like it? .. what if I change my mind!!"

Intro 5 years 10 months ago #50099

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers

Al: "my family keep asking when I'll actually finish one"

:laugh: yeah, same case here. I rarely finish a body completely, although I do cut it out and sand edges very thoroughly. Then I race around in a transparent PC-body "testing" the car (because I can always paint it later ).

I focus a 100% on the chassi, giving it the perfect character suited for my particular idea. Usually it means softer springs, at times just completely new dampers, a brushless motor, preferably 15-17 T type. And new wheels & tires, if they aren't already rally type.

Doing an original paint job for me feels almost like a nightmare, "what if I don't like it? .. what if I change my mind!!"

Glad to hear I’m not alone.
I seem to be great at getting a chassis together.
I’ve obviously caught the bug, because I’ve gone from wanting to have recreate my first Tamiya the Sand Rover to now having about 20 cars !!

At the minute all my collecting is to complete chassis’s.

I really need to stop and get the body shop going.

Thanks for your comment .
Cheers Al.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.