Keyword

TOPIC:

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52650

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi Caprinut,

Your Falcon wheels look amazing. I'd definitely like to attempt a similar restoration now that I've seen the potential results.

I added a Dremel multi tool to my RC kit last week, although I haven't yet had an opportunity to use it. Would the sanding disc accessory be sufficient for the task? And may I ask if you used any particular polish to get that effect?

Thank you for the advice and instruction, I'm genuinely appreciative. I'll probably end up cutting the wheel in half ...lol, but I'll give it a go anyway :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52651

Different ways to take the edge off ;)

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52652

Sam, for the tiny lip of the wheels, you can sand them down as I did on my Falcon wheels.

I used old wheel axle and clamped it down and used a drill to speed up the sanding a bit.
When nearly there I used a hand file and sanded it flat.
Polished them as a last step, you may want to paint yours...

:y:

Alternatives are increasing fine grades of wet & dry paper on a flat surface with soapy water, or turning it off with a lathe. It's also possible to add a new lip - but it's fiddy and the result rather fragile :)

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52653

Oops, I seemed to miss a page before replying :blush:

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52654

The boomerang is still expensive.

Tamico sells them for 129€.
tamico.de/Tamiy...09-Bausatz

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52755

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their tips and tricks for wheel (rim) refurbishment. I used a combination of Dremel & sandpaper. It's my first ever attempt but I'm quite pleased with the results; I thought I was going to end up destroying the wheel lol.

Thanks again :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52756

Looks good to me :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: Sam

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52775

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Thanks Caprinut :)

I have a couple of other questions if anyone can help. The first of which is: C Rings. I've been slightly side tracked during this project by obsessively cleaning the parts, which has delayed the rebuild for considerably longer than I had anticipated.
Over the weekend I planned to put everything back together again but was soon stopped in my tracks by the absence of any C Rings. I was very methodical and careful during the deconstruction phase and can be 100% certain that I didn't lose any of the parts. And from my research, these C Rings can be particularly troublesome to remove, so I would have definitely remembered negotiating such a task, but I'm sure they were absent from the car to begin with.
It appears these components are very difficult to source, with some people opting to purchase a re-release gear box instead. That seems a little extreme for the sake of a few tiny clips. So can anyone recommend a DIY alternative? Or perhaps a link to buying these components?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, what is the general impression or thoughts on using Peroxide to address discoloration? Is it effective and how long should the parts be left?

Thanks so much for your help :)

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52779

Those c clips are of steel spring, so are pianowire.
Most hobby shops which supply plane stuff should carry pianowire in several sizes, mine do anyway down to 0.4mm.

Think I would heat them up with either Mapp or propane torch and bend them with a thin needle nose plier and cut to size when they have cooled down.
Pianowire is brittle when cold, but you may be able to bend the thinner sizes without heat, have never tried myself.

Hope that helps ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: Sam

Last edit: by caprinut.

33 years later 5 years 5 months ago #52781

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Very helpful, Caprinut. Thank you. There is a modelshop a couple of miles from me, so I'll try and visit sometime this week.
It's odd that those clips had been removed. Perhaps the previous owner had at some point tried to restore the vehicle or rebuild the gearbox -as the drive gear was damaged - and lost those C clips. It's so annoying lol.

Thanks again.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.