Keyword

TOPIC:

33 years later 5 years 3 months ago #53373

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi Rickman,

The Sand Scorcher looks great. You've done an excellent job. If I were capable of such a high standard of restoration, my car's wouldn't be leaving the self lol.
You mentioned using a lipo battery, would that be with the original gears or have you modified it with re-release parts? The reason I ask is because I know (think) the re-release was built to accommodate lipo batteries but wasn't sure if the original gears are strong enough to withstand that power.
I've recently picked up a vintage Blackfoot and those gears appear to be short lived even with the limited (by comparison) power of old school tech. So I'm interested to know if the earlier gearboxes were generally stronger.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

33 years later 5 years 3 months ago #53374

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi,

Just wanted to wish you all a Happy Christmas and fantastic New Year.
I'd also like to thank everyone for their advice and encouragement since my return to RC. Progress has been regrettably delayed due to some health issues but I'm eager to get my Boomerang project completed so that I can start dismantling the Blackfoot.

Once again, thank you.

Happy Christmas.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

33 years later 5 years 3 months ago #53380

Hi Rickman,

The Sand Scorcher looks great. You've done an excellent job. If I were capable of such a high standard of restoration, my car's wouldn't be leaving the self lol.
You mentioned using a lipo battery, would that be with the original gears or have you modified it with re-release parts? The reason I ask is because I know (think) the re-release was built to accommodate lipo batteries but wasn't sure if the original gears are strong enough to withstand that power.
I've recently picked up a vintage Blackfoot and those gears appear to be short lived even with the limited (by comparison) power of old school tech. So I'm interested to know if the earlier gearboxes were generally stronger.

Old ORV chassis in big wheeles version, have a poor transmission. Very fragile. Same with a brushed modified motor.
The following user(s) Liked this: Sam

33 years later 5 years 3 months ago #53385

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Thank you for the info, Stingray. Much appreciated.

33 years later 5 years 3 months ago #53424

Sam,

Thank you for the picture of the self-fabricated C-Clip. I too ran into a snag while rebuilding my Boomerang and lost a c-clip. I was removing it from the drive shaft with a tiny screwdriver in order to clean the entire gearbox. Then, suddenly, TWEENG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It went flying into never never land. I didn't even consider removing any more after that. Thanks to your posting and picture, I grabbed some music wire and wrapped it around my needlenose, clipped off the ends at the right places, then viola! Fit like a glove!

Thank you so much again for your posting. It helped save another modeler some grief!
Kevin

Last edit: by Tamyia_1977.

33 years later 5 years 3 months ago #53455

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi Kevin,

I really appreciate your message, thank you. Much of the credit must go to Caprinut for his suggestion but I'm pleased my contribution aided your project in some small way.

Thanks again and Happy New Year.

Sam.

33 years later 5 years 2 months ago #53473

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi,

Just wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year.

Sam
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, stingray-63

33 years later 5 years 1 month ago #53998

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi,

Can anyone please calrify if the Tamiya Boomerang 2008 gearbox joints are a straight replacement for the vintage ones?

I've just ordered some but have been reading that some of the components from the re-release are incompatible with the vintage model.

Thank you.
Sam

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.