Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wild Willy Value / Costs 5 years 2 months ago #53740

Hello fellow wild willy fans!

I'm a very new collector of the wild willy's and have been searching for some old M38 Wild Willy's. In doing so, i'm still uncertain of the value. I.e. what would be a fair price to offer. Since this is very subjective i have broken down some examples....

Wild Willy M38 - Untouched New & Still in Original Box LWB & SWB? roughly
Wild Willy M38 - Model built & used without box & in 5 out of 10 condition? roughly

Are their certain bit's to look out for that make them better?

I have seen a few listed for sale but they have been advertised for some time now. I've not come across any in an auction which would give a close guess I suppose.

Would be interesting to know if these are higher in demand than they used to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I plan to buy some this year if i'm lucky enough to find for a fair price.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wild Willy Value / Costs 5 years 2 months ago #53742

The best way to find value on any vintage Tamiya item is to look at completed listings on eBay.
There's currently three vintage NIBs and 8+ complete vintage models, and then more. Some are sold, some are not, both giving indication of price.

What to look for?
- SWB vs LWB. SWB demands higher price.
- Intact vintage front grill panel: The attachment points for the winch is a weak point. Near impossible to find good grill as replacement.(except Shapeways) The grille on WW2 is different.
- Tires, shared with Blazing Blazer, very hard to find in good condition, but reproductions are available on eBay.
- i'm sure there's more

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Wild Willy Value / Costs 5 years 2 months ago #53745

Hello fellow wild willy fans!

I'm a very new collector of the wild willy's and have been searching for some old M38 Wild Willy's. In doing so, i'm still uncertain of the value. I.e. what would be a fair price to offer. Since this is very subjective i have broken down some examples....

Wild Willy M38 - Untouched New & Still in Original Box LWB & SWB? roughly
Wild Willy M38 - Model built & used without box & in 5 out of 10 condition? roughly

Are their certain bit's to look out for that make them better?

I have seen a few listed for sale but they have been advertised for some time now. I've not come across any in an auction which would give a close guess I suppose.

Would be interesting to know if these are higher in demand than they used to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I plan to buy some this year if i'm lucky enough to find for a fair price.

"Problem" bits used to be tyres, the front grille & the front bulkhead, but all are available as reproduction/3D printed items now, missing driver/luggage parts can be replaced with WW2 parts, the aluminium windscreen stays are easy enough to make yourself, the rubber switch cover is back in production for the re-re SRBs, decals are avaialble from Canada - if you don't mind the loss of originality. If you do, finding replacements could be a long and/or expensive process.

The front bumper and mechanism box lid are often broken and missing respectively, I haven't seen repro/3D versions of them. I don't think I've seen the "correct" (formed "wrong" way round bodyclips for the SWB Willy ever IRL.

NIB LWB Wild Willys have sold from 450-650 GBP, I don't think I've seen a SWB Willy come up where the price/sale could be verified, so even more than the LWB, I think you'd have to pay what the seller was asking. 1K GBP or more possibly wouldn't be that unreasonable. :blink:

Used LWB prices - somthing like 75 to 100 GBP for a broken, incomplete one, 150 GBP for one needing a strip/clean/repaint and some parts/repairs, 200 to 250 GBP for a very good one.

My feeling is that interest/demand/prices are all increasing at a few percent a year, but the cumulative effect looks a lot greater if you dip in & out of the hobby. Sales seem to have moved off eBay and on to FB groups and the like, which can give the impression that supply is running out.

:)

Wild Willy Value / Costs 5 years 2 months ago #53811

Great information. Really helpful. I'm really keen to find some originals brand new in box & untouched. Yes, will be expensive but amazing to know it's been untouched since 1982! They're so cool..!

many thanks again

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.