Keyword

TOPIC:

Digging out my old Celica Gr.B, Avante 2001 & Boomerang with my son 4 years 11 months ago #55095

• HRDNTS
  • HRDNTS's Avatar Topic Author
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
Hey guys and girls,

Stumbled across this forum a couple of days ago and looks to be a wealth of knowledge for people like be trying to kickstart my memory into gear with how these things work.

I've got 3 cars, the first I must have got when I was 8 or 9. Photos of the boxes in attachment.

Boomerang - this one was already assembled by one of my dads work mates. I'd watch him racing it round in the carpark at his work. He ended up getting another one and dad did a deal on his old one. Awesome!!
It took some abuse from under 10 year old me, but kept on trucking, bent front driveshafts and all haha.
I've still got the box and a big bag of used and spare bits inside. Looks like I pinched some gear out of it for the Celica though. This ones probably in the worst condition, but I'm sure it can live again!

Celica Gr.B - this was the next RC car I got, and the first I got to build new out of the box. I remember spending every moment I could when I didnt have to eat or sleep putting them together, painting them and adding the decals. The speed of it was a real eye opener. I have a set of the rally tyres and slicks from the 959 kit. I mostly raced it on the tarmac. Even at school during lunch times! I remember going so fast and hard round corners once the tyre peeled off the rim!
The body shell has a few cracks on the corners of the rear bumper and one over the front wheel arch but other than that its pretty mint from what I can tell (its been painted and stickered by a 10 year old though)! Charged the super old battery up and got about 3min run time haha. My 3 year old son loved that it has working miniature headlights too! Its got a stock 540 motor in it, but I have 2 x technigold in the box I had stored all my cars in. I believe they needed some work and I had no clue at that age. It needs some fiddling with the servo to center it properly, I think because it came out of the Boomerang.

Avante 2001 - I was drooling over the high tech chassis and details in the Tamiya guide book over and over and was lucky enough to save up and have my folks chip in to get one on my birthday or Xmas (I can't remember which!). Its got the 540RZ black motor in it (I think thats what it was) and also got a quick run around the end of our street to test if it was still alive.

My dad and I (well mostly dad!!) dug out a copy of the dirt race tracks from the Tamiya guide book in one of the paddocks just behind our house. All by hand with a spade!! Had so much fun ripping round there with Boomerang and Avante 2001.

After driving the Avante 2001 and Celica, I found out how much some old kits go for and was glad I tested in a nice open space!!

I also remember making the Tamiya Super Astute for my cousin as my uncle said there was no way any of them would be able to make them haha

Anyway... Hopefully I can find someone in New Zealand (any other kiwis in here?) that can help with the restoring of the technigold motors (I think they needed new brushes), work out what a suitable battery and charger replacement will be, and hopefully getting them running like they used to.
Or maybe I've had my fun with them, my son has seen dads old RC cars, and I should pass them on to someone who can bring them right back to their former glory or enjoy running them if they never got to own them back in the day....

For now, I really look forward to finding some spare time (whats that??) and trying to get the cars up and running how I remember them (or better as I'm sure battery tech has moved on from 30+ years ago!!

cheers,
Steve

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Gripper107, AJB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by AndyAus.

Digging out my old Celica Gr.B, Avante 2001 & Boomerang with my son 4 years 11 months ago #55096

Welcome Bro ;) Wow you have some nice car's there and great memories :) The brushes are easy to replace in those motors by releasing the capture spring and sliding them out ;) Which part of NZ are you in?

Ps: Nice deck
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Digging out my old Celica Gr.B, Avante 2001 & Boomerang with my son 4 years 11 months ago #55097

• HRDNTS
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
G'day AndyAus mate! ;)

Sweet as re the brushes - then I just need to work out where to buy them... and remember if they're the reason I had them apart in the first place haha. Have no idea if they're fairly generic inside or have to be specific technigold ones?

I'm based in Auckland mate.

Digging out my old Celica Gr.B, Avante 2001 & Boomerang with my son 4 years 11 months ago #55098

Welcome on board steve. You are in the good place.
You have here nice cars (especially the celica). All the 3 are realtively easy to restore same if some spares are expensive. Share some picts of your car. We always apreciate :) .

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Digging out my old Celica Gr.B, Avante 2001 & Boomerang with my son 4 years 11 months ago #55099

Welcome to TamiyaBase, Steve!
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Digging out my old Celica Gr.B, Avante 2001 & Boomerang with my son 4 years 10 months ago #55100

Hello, Nice history of the cars, enjoyable read. :)

Needs more photos though. :P

Digging out my old Celica Gr.B, Avante 2001 & Boomerang with my son 4 years 10 months ago #55101

G'day AndyAus mate! ;)

Sweet as re the brushes - then I just need to work out where to buy them... and remember if they're the reason I had them apart in the first place haha. Have no idea if they're fairly generic inside or have to be specific technigold ones?

I'm based in Auckland mate.

Yeah they are specific and can be pricey :O

Here is the build guide for them from the data base ;)

I always remember on the odd occasion as a kid going to Auckland, I wouldn't stop asking to visit Hobby city (not because I could buy anything) Just to drool as a wide eyed town kid :lol:
Attachments:

Digging out my old Celica Gr.B, Avante 2001 & Boomerang with my son 4 years 10 months ago #55102

• HRDNTS
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
Had a look inside one of the motors and there are literally no brushes in there lol. I may have busted them pulling the motor apart without the brush spreader inserted long ago... Whoops.
Other one is still screwed together and it's nearly 1am here, so it'll have to wait till tomorrow. Hopefully I can make one good motor from the pair. If not, time to spend some money...

What are the best practices for cleaning the inside of the motor?

Any suggestions for batteries I should be looking at that'll work in all the cars? Would like it to last 15-20 min or so at least, be compatible with the old gear and fit in the different chassis battery locations.

I'll get some pics uploaded of all the cars tomorrow hopefully :-)

Attachments:

Digging out my old Celica Gr.B, Avante 2001 & Boomerang with my son 4 years 10 months ago #55103

Your brushes are dead :D . To clean the inside, i use brake cleaner sprays and a small bubble into bearings.
For your battery, you can look for nimh batteries 7,2v and up to 3000mAh capacity. You will need a charger to. There is another technology than nicd.

Digging out my old Celica Gr.B, Avante 2001 & Boomerang with my son 4 years 10 months ago #55104

Apart from the obvious lack of brushes, Both of these look in great general condition and well worth restoring :) It may just take a little bit of time to find a set of replacement brushes at the right price ;) Keep an eye on trademe as they could pop up there too ;)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.