Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My First Grasshopper: Another middle-aged RC enthusiast here 4 years 7 months ago #56118

Great. I look forward to your version of Grasshopper. And yes, keeping the functions as originally intended in the design is at least my intention with my Grasshopper II. Sure, I can improve handling by lowering the CG and replacing the front details. But what I find interesting about the design is what Tamiya had in mind to begin with. Because I doubt they were happy with how it comes out of the box. I'm sure they want us to go crazy with mods.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My First Grasshopper: Another middle-aged RC enthusiast here 4 years 7 months ago #56126

• Killaj
  • Killaj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
Well.. I'm sure Tamiya doesn't really mind when people do crazy mods to their cars. I do think however, that Tamiya was happy with the Grasshopper for what it was. My rationale? They didn't bother to make many upgrades for it. I think the intent was to build interest from the beginner level based on low price and ease of assembly (even painting was optional). From there, I'm sure Tamiya wanted those who wished for more performance to pony up for a better model.

I really like the scale look and wish someone had invested some time into a redesign or perhaps a more sophisticated kit which could perform as good as it looked. But that's were WE come in good buddy!

Last edit: by Killaj.

My First Grasshopper: Another middle-aged RC enthusiast here 4 years 7 months ago #56191

• Killaj
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
Some updates:

Oil dampers finally arrived. They are about what I expected.. came filled with very thin oil that was foamy. Springs were a tad bit stiff, and maybe adequate for a heavier setup (540 motor, nimh battery). I ran once with the dampers as they arrived, suspension action was improved but still a bit bouncy.

So I took the dampers apart, and used springs from a multi-color ballpoint pen on the underside of the dampers piston, just sliding them into the damper shaft. Reinstalled and filled with Tamiya clear #900 oil, which is on the thicker end of the spectrum. Action is perfect now.

Also, installed a motor heatsink, which while on the larger side..still doesn't interfere with rear suspension range of motion.

Threw in a Willy driver figure I painted months ago and relocated the esc behind it to allow proper fitment.
Added lights and painted them and front steering ball links red to add the look I was going for.

Went for a run and am very happy. The speed is addictive. From a complete standstill, it spins both rear tires and squats down slightly under load as it darts off.

Again, I'm very pleased overall. I think I'll sort out the motor with bearings and maybe try to find space for a fan somewhere, and that's it.

Some pics:
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Pintom

My First Grasshopper: Another middle-aged RC enthusiast here 4 years 7 months ago #56195

Yep. That sure looks nice.

My First Grasshopper: Another middle-aged RC enthusiast here 4 years 7 months ago #56284

• Killaj
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
A few tidbits added (plastic mesh for Windows, painted wheels) and it's done. Earned a spot on my little wall of fame.
Attachments:

My First Grasshopper: Another middle-aged RC enthusiast here 4 years 7 months ago #56289

Nice result.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.