Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from the UK 3 years 11 months ago #59138

Hi, I'm Dean. 32 years old. It's a pleasure to find such a comprehensive website and active forum!

I have recently dug out my Tamiya Toyota Celica Monte Carlo 58129 that I got for Christmas as a child. It was second hand and already assembled when I got it but at the time was the best thing I could have ever wished for. I was around 7 years old so the car is at least 25 years old! The guy who my parents got it from must have done a stellar job at assembling it as I hammered it well into my early teens despite loosing a rear driveshaft at some point and running it 3 wheel drive! I think it surfaced again at some point in my later teens and since then has been stored in the loft. Much to my amazement the 2 original Tamiya 7.2v 1400ma batteries have charged up and give a good 5-10 minutes run time in our garden!

I have come here in search of a rear driveshaft and a full set of tires for this car. I'd also like to purchase a new battery pack.
I never had much knowledge of how to maintain the car as a child so I'm looking to strip it down and give it a well deserved service if anyone can point me in the direction of some tips or "how to's"

I'm excited to get this thing running tip top again and hopefully pass it on to my son when he's old enough.

Thanks for reading
Dean

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hello from the UK 3 years 11 months ago #59139

Hi and Welcome Dean, We always love to hear peoples Stories and Pictures of their cars are a FAV ;)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Hello from the UK 3 years 11 months ago #59141

Welcome Dean. Very happy to learn your story. Your celica looks to be a ta01 chassis. All parts same the body are available. For ewample on the bay.

Hello from the UK 3 years 11 months ago #59142

Hi there!

The Celica is of the TA02 chassis type and the rear drive shafts are 39mm if I remember correctly.
Any touring car wheels should fit. They are of the 1.9".

Firstly I would recomend to buy either the Tamiya blue tool set, or the L and M screwdribver (they have two series with either black or a softer blue handle).
This is because Tamiya use JIS (Japan Standard Industry) screws, not Phillips as most thinks.
Other than that, pull it apart on give the parts a good clean in soapy water :)
The following user(s) Liked this: CelicaRally93

Last edit: by caprinut.

Hello from the UK 3 years 11 months ago #59145

Thats great thank you. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow. I will warn you it has seen much better days!

Thanks for the info, I've just learned the chassis is a TA02 from the database on here. The amount of information on here is staggering.

Last edit: by CelicaRally93.

Hello from the UK 3 years 11 months ago #59154

Welcome on board :y: B)

Batteries - I'd look at Vapextech NiMH 6s/7.2v packs ([url=https://www.vapextech.co.uk/batteries/radio-control/large-power-packs/?p=3www.vapextech.c...packs/?p=3[/url], probably the 3300mAH or 3700mAH capacity if you want to stick with "conventional" batteries.

You'll probably also need a different charger (NiMH have a slightly different delta peak for fast charging), I'd suggest the Imax B6 as although it's fiddly (and needs a 12v supply) it will charge lots of different sorts of battery (useful if you need to charge lead acid for example, or "upgrade" to Lipo (lithium polymer) at some point).

:)

Hello from the UK 3 years 11 months ago #59173

Welcome and enjoy your restore.
The TA-02 is probably one of the Tamiya with best spare parts availability.

Here a small list if you want to refresh and update your electronics.
Remote go 2.4ghz, flysky is a good brand and their GT2E cheap and easy plus can be used with multiple receiver.
Install an Electronic speed controller or ESC Hobbywing quicrun 1060 is very popular.
Charger as mentioned SkyRC IMAX B6 or the S60 which has AC. Careful with the B6 there are also some fakes or copies on the market.
Batteries the mentioned vapextech 3300 or 3700 are great and fit the TA02 and other vintage Tamiya perfectly.
If you need parts Tony Tamiya Parts ist a good address in the UK.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Hello from the UK 3 years 11 months ago #59177

Waterbok is the boss of the ta01/02. ;)

Hello from the UK 3 years 11 months ago #59184

Firstly I would recomend to buy either the Tamiya blue tool set, or the L and M screwdribver (they have two series with either black or a softer blue handle).
This is because Tamiya use JIS (Japan Standard Industry) screws, not Phillips as most thinks....

Part #s for the black handled JIS drivers are 74006 for the no.2 (large) - most often used - and 74007 for the no.1 (medium).

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Hello from the UK 3 years 11 months ago #59187

Waterbok is the boss of the ta01/02. ;)

And Edou our King 😉

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.